Woodnet Forums
Home Depot spray foam kits - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Home Depot spray foam kits (/showthread.php?tid=7338508)

Pages: 1 2 3

Home Depot spray foam kits - johndi - 03-29-2018

Has anyone used the spray foam kits sold by HD? I'm considering using for an exterior basement wall I am replacing.
Most of the reviews seem positive for ease of use, biggest complaint is how much coverage.
The package claims 200 sf and I only have about 90sf to cover, so even if I don't get the listed coverage I should be fine.
They sell for $350.00 and I can't imagine that if I called a contractor it would be less.
Thanks

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - Snipe Hunter - 03-29-2018

Why not just use fiberglass? A lot cheaper and it can be removed if needed.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - daddo - 03-29-2018

I agree with fiberglass or foam panels and perhaps a sealer. Pocket change vs 350.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - Cooler - 03-29-2018

I favor foam panels + foam sealant (aerosol cans).  

The reason is that the foam will effectively seal the panels as well as the full foam.  In a basement the foam sealant will help keep out small rodents (mice).  You can double up on the foam to get a full depth insulation.  

I've cut the foam on a table saw and it cuts beautifully.  A circular saw would work too.  

In my area you have to use pressure treated if you are framing below ground.  It's probably a good idea anyhow.  If leaks have ever been an issue a coat of concrete sealer would be good idea before closing things up.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - Robert Adams - 03-29-2018

I agree with using foam sheet as well. As for price of spray foam. That's pretty high. It's usually around $1 BF to have it done and Menards has a 600 BF kit for around $1 BF  and some kits are on sale for less than that at times. 

We don't have a Menards here however for big purchases it's worth driving from Fort Worth to Wichita,ks... We had to buy our gutter material there because depot wanted 3x as much as menards so it was worth the trip.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - EricU - 03-29-2018

I bought a small 2 part kit off of Amazon because my local HD doesn't stock anything.  Then I read the instructions.  Temperatures required were a bit ridiculous for a basement.  I wasn't ready in August, that was my window.  This was a cavity where I couldn't get foam board in. The supplied gun wouldn't really work well in this application anyway.  So I just used my foam gun, and it seems to have worked fine. 

I might end up using the 2 part kit this year, I have some cavities that are a real pain to fit board into. Although in the rest of the basement I just fit multiple pieces together and foamed them and it worked fine.

The stories you hear about failed foam are mostly because the temperature limits aren't followed.  I didn't want to screw up and have a difficult cleanup job.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - Cooler - 03-29-2018

(03-29-2018, 10:40 AM)EricU Wrote: I didn't want to screw up and have a difficult cleanup job.
Not difficult, impossible.  

I used the foam in aerosol cans to seal around my through-the-wall air conditioner.  A little got on the plastic and nothing I used would remove it.  I ended us using a scraper and sandpaper.  But some residue remains.  The stuff is tenacious.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - jasfrank - 03-29-2018

(03-29-2018, 10:58 AM)Cooler Wrote: Not difficult, impossible.  

I used the foam in aerosol cans to seal around my through-the-wall air conditioner.  A little got on the plastic and nothing I used would remove it.  I ended us using a scraper and sandpaper.  But some residue remains.  The stuff is tenacious.

I know menards sells solvent for cleanup. Its on the shelf right next to the contractor foam gun. I've bought it in the past to clean that gun with. It works very well.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - Robert Adams - 03-29-2018

(03-29-2018, 11:18 AM)jasfrank Wrote: I know menards sells solvent for cleanup. Its on the shelf right next to the contractor foam gun. I've bought it in the past to clean that gun with. It works very well.

Brake cleaner will remove the foam when it's wet. Works great for cleaning the tips for cans and also spray it down into the can nossle so it's ready for its next use.

RE: Home Depot spray foam kits - jasfrank - 03-29-2018

(03-29-2018, 11:32 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Brake cleaner will remove the foam when it's wet. Works great for cleaning the tips for cans and also spray it down into the can nossle so it's ready for its next use.

What menards sells works when its dry. Its for those who dont use their guns often enough and it sets up in there.