Woodnet Forums
What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What's a good length for a wooden jointer? (/showthread.php?tid=7338585)

What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - overland - 04-01-2018

I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?

RE: What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - Blacky's Boy - 04-01-2018

(04-01-2018, 12:09 PM)overland Wrote: I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?

I think it depends on what you want size (length) boards you want to work with. The longer the sole the more reference length and the greater your ability to maintain a flat surface

For reference:
A No 6 is 18" with a 2 3/8" wide iron 
A No 7 is 22" with a 2 3/8" wide iron 
A No 8 is 24" with a 2 5/8" wide iron

For me my jointer of choice is a refurbished No31 which is 24" long. I find is a TON easier to use than a No8.

RE: What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - Admiral - 04-01-2018

(04-01-2018, 12:09 PM)overland Wrote: I've made some smaller planes and am thinking of making a jointer. What's a good length?

I've seen them in the wild from 20" to as long as 28".  Shipwrights tended to use the longer ones, or so I assume, as there's always a ship adze in the same toolbox as the longest ones I've seen........

RE: What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - Derek Cohen - 04-01-2018

Stanley jointers were shorter than wooden jointers, probably because of the weight. My favourite woodie is 28" long. Below are three I built, a 36" long jointer (3" wide blade), 28" jointer (2 1/4" blade) and 15" jack ...

[Image: Jointer3.jpg]

As you can see, I favour the razee style.

Regards from Auckland, New Zealand

Derek

RE: What's a good length for a wooden jointer? - Admiral - 04-01-2018

Razee is IMHO optimal for a jointer.