Woodnet Forums
220v Receptacle Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 220v Receptacle Question (/showthread.php?tid=7338804)

220v Receptacle Question - Strokes77 - 04-10-2018

My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

Ok to just install Nema 6-20r?

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - Splinter Puller - 04-10-2018

(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

That is what I use for most of my 220 tools.  I'd prefer to be able to quickly pull the cord in most cases unlike some large twist lock plug.

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - Roly - 04-10-2018

(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

That should do it.    Remember it should be on a 20a circuit not a 15a .    Also if any tools also have a 120v load (lights etc) it should have a neutral in addition to the ground.  (different plug and receptacle )  Roly

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - TDKPE - 04-10-2018

(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

NEMA 6-20R.  Singles, or even duplexes.  You can put them in the same quad box as a 5-15/20R duplex if you like, or in their own box(es).  Just watch the box fill.  And put it/them on its/their own circuit(s), to keep it non-complicated.

Keeping it simple.
Cool

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - fredhargis - 04-10-2018

You are in luck. I put a lot of 6-20 receptacles in my shop. To save money I bought a box of 100 of them for about 60¢ ea, versus the box store price of about $5. After I was done with my needs I sold some here for what I paid and gave most of the rest to the Habitat Restore. Even so I still have a handful left and can give you several for the cost of postage. So if you want some send me a PM with an address and how many you plan to install. Now, postage could be $5+ for a small flat rate box so if it's only 1 or 2, you might be just as well off getting them at the box store. Your call, let me know.

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - Large Wooden Badger - 04-10-2018

I went with the twist lock plug, the cord is long and heavy and I didn't want it pulling out of the wall.

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - rwe2156 - 04-12-2018

I use a standard single use 220V outlet.

I mount the outlet boxes directly to the machine cabinet and attach the wiring to the duct work.

I like this because 1) I can unplug the machine right there and 2) eliminates need for cords and expensive twist plugs.

RE: 220v Receptacle Question - Strokes77 - 04-12-2018

Thank you fred for that offer. For now only 2 receptacles, so I will save you the trouble.

Thanks men.