Woodnet Forums
Give up Wood working? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Give up Wood working? (/showthread.php?tid=7338818)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Give up Wood working? - captjack - 04-11-2018

Getting ready to retire, 71 now and ready to pull the plug.  Curious if there are any wood netters in the Phoenix area, wife is pushing for a move there but I am resisting.  Im used to a basement shop, and that is rare in Phoenix and garage space is needed to keep cars from sun rot.  I hate to give up wood working but if wive wins out, I will have to sell all my tools and learn to live without the worlds greatest hobby.

Captjack

RE: Give up Wood working? - dry heat - 04-11-2018

(04-11-2018, 12:24 AM)captjack Wrote: Getting ready to retire, 71 now and ready to pull the plug.  Curious if there are any wood netters in the Phoenix area, wife is pushing for a move there but I am resisting.  Im used to a basement shop, and that is rare in Phoenix and garage space is needed to keep cars from sun rot.  I hate to give up wood working but if wive wins out, I will have to sell all my tools and learn to live without the worlds greatest hobby.

Captjack
Hi,
I live in Peoria which is a suburb of Phoenix. You might look at the Sun City and similar areas. Many have a woodworking and many other community shops which are well equipped.
Ed

RE: Give up Wood working? - Ted Jay - 04-11-2018

Why not find a house in the Phoenix area with a workshop?
I was curious as to how long it would take to find a listing with a workshop, and as I used to live in Phoenix and in the Luke Air Force Base area I can't imagine wanting to retire within the city, but maybe on the outlining area instead. Took me all but 1 min to find one with a workshop on Zillow. Paste this into Google mls# 5709822
Good Luck on your retirement!
Ted

RE: Give up Wood working? - Tony Z - 04-11-2018

More than just woodworking, a man needs a place to call his own! Ours is a very large home, lived here for over 22 years, but it is my wife's! Everything is her choosing. My refuse is my basement shop. Maybe there are times I don't do anything, but go down there, but it is mine.

RE: Give up Wood working? - Admiral - 04-11-2018

(04-11-2018, 05:43 AM)Tony Z Wrote:   My refuse is my basement shop.   Maybe there are times I don't do anything, but go down there, but it is mine.

Ahem, perhaps refuge??  Although your bride may consider it otherwise.....
Laugh

RE: Give up Wood working? - Bill Wilson - 04-11-2018

(04-11-2018, 06:37 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ahem, perhaps refuge??  Although your bride may consider it otherwise.....
Laugh

Freudian slip? 
Laugh

RE: Give up Wood working? - Bill Holt - 04-11-2018

I just turned 73 on Monday; giving up woodworking would be detrimental to my health and probably my marriage.  The same goes for my wife giving up quilting.

Your situation my be a lot different than mine; I have no other interest other than my church and they sure don't want me hanging around there!

Sounds like you have a very difficult decision to make.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I.

RE: Give up Wood working? - daddo - 04-11-2018

Geesh, my step dad is 94 and still messes around in his shop some. You guys act like your over the hill. I guess you decide for yourself (Mentally) if your old.
What are you going to do- sit in a chair and watch TV for 10-20 years?
Raised

You can always make a bunch of wooden: "Round To Its" and sell'em.

Razzing aside, if you're just not up to it anymore or lost interest, keep at least the bare essentials.

RE: Give up Wood working? - Rob Young - 04-11-2018

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=DxbOWqPHKI6OsQXMz7eoBA&q=sun+city+woodworking+club&oq=sun+city+wo&gs_l=psy-ab.3.2.0l10.585.2007.0.4239.12.11.0.0.0.0.91.723.11.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.11.723.0..46j0i131k1j0i131i46k1j46i131k1j0i46k1.0.6k8gcCKzeUs

RE: Give up Wood working? - bandsaw - 04-11-2018

Today is my 71st. Just built a new house with 1250 sq ft shop and 600 sq ft quilt studio for her.

And decided not to retire - I like my work too.