Woodnet Forums
lathe into a disk sander - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: lathe into a disk sander (/showthread.php?tid=7338850)

Pages: 1 2 3

lathe into a disk sander - Peter Tremblay - 04-12-2018

Hello all,

I am making what I need to use my lathe as a disk sander.

I already had the disk and sanding part done.

Now I wanted to seek your advice on making the table that will be built (out of plywood) to go in front of the sanding disk.

Any tips or advice from those who have done it?

RE: lathe into a disk sander - Arlin Eastman - 04-12-2018

Peter

Do what I did and make a saddle that sits on the bed of the ways and also runs down the sides to keep it stable and then up to the center of the disc.  Make sure it can move along the ways and that you put in a bolt or something like that on the side to lock it down.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - Peter Tremblay - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 12:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Peter

Do what I did and make a saddle that sits on the bed of the ways and also runs down the sides to keep it stable and then up to the center of the disc.  Make sure it can move along the ways and that you put in a bolt or something like that on the side to lock it down.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Any advice about a miter slot? or dust collection?

RE: lathe into a disk sander - Large Wooden Badger - 04-12-2018

our hosts had a plan a number of years ago, I made one and it worked fine until I bought a dedicated unit.

Look in the magazines for the plan.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - crokett™ - 04-12-2018

I think I'd make something that drops on the toolrest, or has a post to fit in the banjo. Make a channel that fits over the tool rest and add a threaded knob that acts as a setscrew.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - TDKPE - 04-12-2018

I posted some pics of my setup when you asked back in February, but I can't copy them to this thread.  So you'll have to open that thread.  
Laugh 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337693

RE: lathe into a disk sander - toolmiser - 04-12-2018

I don't know what you have to a toolrest holder, but years ago I (my Father) came up with a simple idea of screwing a pipe flange onto a piece of 2 x 8 using a pipe nipple to mount into the tool rest base.

If you want to get fancy cut a dado into it and use a miter gauge from table saw.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - Peter Tremblay - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 03:17 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I posted some pics of my setup when you asked back in February, but I can't copy them to this thread.  So you'll have to open that thread.  
Laugh 

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337693
Sorry 
Blush

I forgot.

Thank you

Do you find that your rest is square to the face of the sander?

That's my concern with making something to mount into the tool rest is that since it is a tool rest the precision for squareness might be a degree or two off.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - GeorgeV - 04-13-2018

(04-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I am making what I need to use my lathe as a disk sander.

I already had the disk and sanding part done.

Now I wanted to seek your advice on making the table that will be built (out of plywood) to go in front of the sanding disk.

Any tips or advice from those who have done it?

Peter, I simply took a piece of 3/4" plywood and mounted it the the tool rest using a pipe nipple and flange on the underside of the plywood. I have been using this arrangement for many years.

RE: lathe into a disk sander - TDKPE - 04-13-2018

(04-12-2018, 09:13 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Sorry 
Blush

I forgot.

Thank you

Do you find that your rest is square to the face of the sander?

That's my concern with making something to mount into the tool rest is that since it is a tool rest the precision for squareness might be a degree or two off.

No problem.  I was starting to think that, in the words of Dirty Harry Callahan, my mouthwash ain't makin' it.  
Laugh

I shimmed it square.  Since the pipe nipple bears against the inside of the banjo bore for its whole length and is held against it by the screw, the position is always the same.  Unless I rotate it, but I can't since it has a long, flat side.  So it always comes out square, once it was initially squared via shims.  It hasn't moved in years, maybe partly because it's mahogany that was once part of a pattern used in a foundry.  My Dad got lots of mahogany back in the day from a friend of his in the business.  But any construction that's rigid and flat I would think is fine.

My biggest problem with it is that the disc itself is not flat.  Easy to correct on a metal lathe, but it's actually slightly curved back from center.