Woodnet Forums
dowels - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: dowels (/showthread.php?tid=7338876)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: dowels - EricU - 05-25-2018

okay, thanks for clarifying, now I understand and agree that's the way it has to be to work right.
It's a really neat idea. I have some drill bushings for an unfinished project, probably copy your template idea.

RE: dowels - Phil Thien - 05-25-2018

FWIW, you don't NEED to file the outsides of the bushings and test fit into a 3/8" drilled template hole, using a 25/64" bit to make the template works perfectly fine.  A lot of people don't have fractional bits in 1/64" increments though.

RE: dowels - giradman - 06-11-2018

Well, I've just used my new Joint Genie (1/4" size) on a project, i.e. redoing our son's old bedroom - need to add a queen bed - I just finished 2 side tables (walnut + oak) - top drawers w/ runners + bottom shelf - the dowelling jig was used to bring the stiles & rails together and worked well - just need to pay close attention to registering the sides and ends - all ended up perfectly squared - I also own a number of other dowelling jigs, but will likely give the Genie another try on my next project - recommended if you want such a device - a few pics below of the two end tables (images not great w/ flash in a bedroom).  Dave
Smile

RE: dowels - Cooler - 06-12-2018

(06-11-2018, 10:53 PM)giradman Wrote: Well, I've just used my new Joint Genie (1/4" size) on a project, i.e. redoing our son's old bedroom - need to add a queen bed - I just finished 2 side tables (walnut + oak) - top drawers w/ runners + bottom shelf - the dowelling jig was used to bring the stiles & rails together and worked well - just need to pay close attention to registering the sides and ends - all ended up perfectly squared - I also own a number of other dowelling jigs, but will likely give the Genie another try on my next project - recommended if you want such a device - a few pics below of the two end tables (images not great w/ flash in a bedroom).  Dave
Smile

I bought the Joint Genie for cabinets.  You are using it for real furniture.  Nice work.

I bought 1/4" color label dots to  indicate which holes I've been drilling.  I don't need to drill every hole as it puts in way more dowels than I require.  The dots are easily removed and also show me which end was "up".  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004INFQMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Image: 71zCrPDjaJL._SX425_.jpg]

RE: dowels - giradman - 06-12-2018

(06-12-2018, 12:18 PM)Cooler Wrote: I bought the Joint Genie for cabinets.  You are using it for real furniture.  Nice work.

I bought 1/4" color label dots to  indicate which holes I've been drilling.  I don't need to drill every hole as it puts in way more dowels than I require.  The dots are easily removed and also show me which end was "up".  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004INFQMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Image: 71zCrPDjaJL._SX425_.jpg]

Thanks Cooler - pleased w/ the outcome of the bedroom end tables - agree about the number of holes in the jig - I just marked the ones being used w/ a pencil but not completely happy - your method w/ the color dots makes a lot more sense - at any rate, I'll come up w/ another idea or use yours for my next project.  Dave
Smile

RE: dowels - Cooler - 06-12-2018

(06-12-2018, 12:32 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks Cooler - pleased w/ the outcome of the bedroom end tables - agree about the number of holes in the jig - I just marked the ones being used w/ a pencil but not completely happy - your method w/ the color dots makes a lot more sense - at any rate, I'll come up w/ another idea or use yours for my next project.  Dave
Smile
The jig was designed (I guess) for melamine clad particle board.  The melamine is not so structural as other boards and the manufacturers rely on more dowels for that construction than for other types of sheet goods.

I prowled many kitchen cabinet websites and for most of the high end cabinet companies (plywood construction) they seemed to place one dowel every 5".  Of course they relay on the attachment to the wall for some of the structure and free standing units might need more dowels.

One key point I learned from scouring the research sites (on joinery) is that you should not place a dowel less than 2" from the end of a panel.  Apparently it needs the 2" to keep all the laminations or particles together.  

I do admire the work you did.  

I have to finish installing new soffit around my house and replace some old siding.  So I will be working outdoors for most of the summer.  I plan on giving the dowel jig a major workout when I remodel the kitchen in the fall.

Cooler

RE: dowels - EricU - 06-12-2018

Cooler,
Where do you buy Confirmat screws?

Seems like if you buy 100 they are a lot more expensive than if you buy 2000

RE: dowels - Stwood_ - 06-12-2018

I bought mine from CHS (custom service hardware)
Also bought from HDL, which is their wholesale division. You have to be a business to buy there. Need tax ID.

RE: dowels - Cooler - 06-13-2018

(06-12-2018, 03:41 PM)EricU Wrote: Cooler,
Where do you buy Confirmat screws?

Seems like if you buy 100 they are a lot more expensive than if you buy 2000

McFeelys or AH Turf.

I can't tell which is a better deal because they use different packaging.  

AH Turf's appears to be the original Confirmats.  McFeelys seems to be a knock off.  Both seem to be about the same quality.  AH Turf's OEM drill bits are scary-expensive.  That is why my first purchase was from McFeelys so I could get the cheaper step drill bit.

RE: dowels - Cooler - 08-16-2018

Latest improvements on the doweling jigs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXHMNQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the set screw stop collar for the drill bit with this split collar.  The set screw one kept slipping on me.  This one holds tight.  A definite improvement.

There are other single split versions with one hex screw that are less expensive, but this one works very well and was only $6.00.