Woodnet Forums
Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models (/showthread.php?tid=7339051)

Pages: 1 2

Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Belle City Woodworking - 04-20-2018

Who makes the best holdfast?  I have had my fill of the cracking cast holdfasts. I have been eyeballing the Holdfasts by Gramercy Tools

Thanks in advance!
John

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - overland - 04-20-2018

Lots of good choices. The Gramercy ones are excellent, as many will attest. Lie Nielsen has good ones. You can find nice blacksmith-made holdfasts by looking online at ebay or etsy. Quite a few blacksmiths make them. I'm sure folks will chime in here with names. If you want to go 1",  of course, Crucible Tools (Lost Art Press) has good ones.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - WaterlooMarc - 04-20-2018

I’ve had a pair of grammercy holdfasts for what has to be over a decade now. They work well. I cracked a cast one within a week prior to buying these.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Strokes77 - 04-20-2018

(04-20-2018, 08:40 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I’ve had a pair of grammercy holdfasts for what has to be over a decade now. They work well. I cracked a cast one within a week prior to buying these.

gramercy all the way. Love mine going on 5 years or so.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - MarkSingleton - 04-20-2018

Only ones I have ever used are Gramercy. So I have no way to compare to
anything else. I find them to work every time without complaint. They are
not expensive for the work they do either.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Troywoodyard - 04-20-2018

I bought the gramercy a couple weeks ago. Be sure to read the note they send with it. Using coarse sandpaper in a lateral direction (not up and down) made them hold really well, while straight out of the box they wouldn't hold in my 3" top. They hold really well now and I have really been enjoying having a holdfast. I previously used only a face vise.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Tony Z - 04-21-2018

I got a pair on the "Old Tool List", during the Santa Swap. Mine were from Phil from Alaska and made by Jake the Russian. Work dimply great!

I would go Gramercy. For the record, the first I had (several decades ago) were pony/Jorgensen. They were cast and worked well. Never broke, no katter yow much I hit them.

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Belle City Woodworking - 04-21-2018

Thanks for all the replies!  I have a pair of Gramercy Holdfasts on their way to my shop 
Wink

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - Hank Knight - 04-21-2018

I have two of the Grammercy holdfasts. They are excellent. I use them all the time. But my favorites are the Veritas hold downs.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=31149&cat=1,41637

Try them. They are the best!

RE: Holdfasts - Non Cast Models - four injuries - 04-22-2018

The LN holdfasts are awesome.