Woodnet Forums
dining room table design - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: dining room table design (/showthread.php?tid=7339419)

dining room table design - Jlivingstone - 05-07-2018

I'm interested in building a shorter version of this table,  but I'm not sure how sturdy the design is.  My wife loves it as is, but I think I would feel the need to add a stretcher between the legs.  Any thoughts on whether or not it's sheer mass is enough to keep things stable or would it be better off with some extra help?

RE: dining room table design - jteneyck - 05-07-2018

If you will be using stock as thick as shown I'm pretty confident big M&T's will be all that's needed.  As the stock gets thinner the racking resistance will be lessened and you'll need a stretcher at some point.  Just guessing, I think with 8/4 stock you will need a stretcher, but not at 12/4 or thicker. 

John

RE: dining room table design - hbmcc - 05-07-2018

That thing is massive! And, it looks like a(?) through tenon at the near end. Something like that requires a few beasts just to move it. Nothing else required. I saw one about 30 feet long..  I think it was parked on some outdoor stone decorations (balustrade?). You would kill the impact with a stretcher.

RE: dining room table design - Cooler - 05-08-2018

You could always add a steel rod stretcher afterwards with no great difficulty. Or you can go to a local iron railing company and have him make up something more decorative.
[Image: 3154810275_1337489838.jpg]

RE: dining room table design - Bill Holt - 05-08-2018

I agree with hbmcc "You would kill the impact with a stretcher".

RE: dining room table design - Wipedout - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 07:26 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I agree with hbmcc "You would kill the impact with a stretcher".

Yep and the way it is designed in the picture it doesn't need anything else - modify the design in length and you will be fine - change the thickness and you will need to rethink

RE: dining room table design - Jlivingstone - 05-08-2018

Thanks for everyone's input.  I think I'll just leave the design as is and save myself the work.  It wouldn't be hard to add a stretcher afterwards if the thing didn't prove to be rock solid.