Woodnet Forums
plane hammer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: plane hammer (/showthread.php?tid=7339650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

plane hammer - JSpill - 05-19-2018

Sometimes I seem to look for tools I don't really need. Then I come here and ask for opinions on various tools. After reading the folks comments I leave here convinced I must have that tool. Today's tool is a plane hammer. Presently, I use a $4.99 watchmaker's hammer from Harbor Freight. Why do I need to buy a Veritas, Lie Nielsen, Glen Drake, etc. hammer? Please entice me. Who's product must I purchase? Thanks.

RE: plane hammer - Timberwolf - 05-19-2018

(05-19-2018, 01:39 PM)JSpill Wrote: Sometimes I seem to look for tools I don't really need. Then I come here and ask for opinions on various tools. After reading the folks comments I leave here convinced I must have that tool. Today's tool is a plane hammer. Presently, I use a $4.99 watchmaker's hammer from Harbor Freight. Why do I need to buy a Veritas, Lie Nielsen, Glen Drake, etc. hammer? Please entice me. Who's product must I purchase? Thanks.
"Why do I need to buy a Veritas, Lie Nielsen, Glen Drake, etc. hammer? Please entice me. "

First you must understand that "need" has nothing to do with "wants"........secondly, a cheap HF hammer is not worthy of smiting an expensive plane blade...it would be working above it's station......
Crazy
Big Grin

RE: plane hammer - Admiral - 05-19-2018

(05-19-2018, 01:39 PM)JSpill Wrote: Sometimes I seem to look for tools I don't really need. Then I come here and ask for opinions on various tools. After reading the folks comments I leave here convinced I must have that tool. Today's tool is a plane hammer. Presently, I use a $4.99 watchmaker's hammer from Harbor Freight. Why do I need to buy a Veritas, Lie Nielsen, Glen Drake, etc. hammer? Please entice me. Who's product must I purchase? Thanks.

None. While they are exquisite in conception and design, in the end, they are all hammers. Personally, I use a 1x1 scrap of hard maple to tap my plane irons. 

That being said, if it floats your boat go for it. This is coming from a guy who paid $170 for a TFWW saw vice!!!  So there you go.

RE: plane hammer - Alan S - 05-19-2018

It can be hard to predict what will make a difference.  Many decades ago I bought a set of Cinelli handlebars for my bicycle because they looked cool, though I knew they would not make me a better cyclist.  But when I came to a hill, I'd put my head down, see the handlebars, and think "what kind of an person spends that much on handlebars, if he's not going to pedal harder than this?"  And I would.  

If getting the expensive hammer will make your work better or more pleasant, it could be worth it.  Whether it matters at all depends on you.

RE: plane hammer - bandit571 - 05-19-2018

There is a type of hammer, that I use....drive a brad, adjust a plane iron, or drive a chisel..
Cool  
[attachment=10456]
Cross pean, square head..aka Riveting Hammer.....usually about 7oz.   Used it today, not just for driving a mortise chisel...
[attachment=10457]
I needed to adjust the cutter in the stanley 45  a bit to the side...these planes don't have a lateral adjust lever...
Winkgrin

RE: plane hammer - Timberwolf - 05-21-2018

(05-19-2018, 08:43 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There is a type of hammer, that I use....drive a brad, adjust a plane iron, or drive a chisel..
Cool  

Cross pean, square head..aka Riveting Hammer.....usually about 7oz.   Used it today, not just for driving a mortise chisel...

I needed to adjust the cutter in the stanley 45  a bit to the side...these planes don't have a lateral adjust lever...
Winkgrin
I like hammers and have dozens of them..I particularly like the smaller, more unusual types, but don't have a specific one in mind for adjusting a plane blade..I usually just grab the closest one...I made the one shown on the right in the photo about fifty years ago..I used a 3/4" Grade 8 bolt and turned it on my lunch hour at work using the shop's metal lathe...at the time, I was also interested in silver-smithing and lapidary..

The hammer on the left is engraved "From George to Eliza, class of 1903"...it has a storey to tell....

I suggest you check Ebay and find one you really like and make a bid on it...There's some really nice old hammers to be had and at much better prices than some of the "custom made" hammers....

[Image: IMG_0448.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0443.jpg]

RE: plane hammer - Carl Grover - 05-22-2018

I've been using a cheapie little hammer that's kicked around forever to adjust my planes. Then I thought I had to have the LV plane hammer so I got one. I hated it. It's just too heavy. I guess I must have my cheapy hammer perfectly calibrated so I went back to using it.

carl

RE: plane hammer - Timberwolf - 05-22-2018

(05-22-2018, 09:02 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: I've been using a cheapie little hammer that's kicked around forever to adjust my planes. Then I thought I had to have the LV plane hammer so I got one. I hated it. It's just too heavy. I guess I must have my cheapy hammer perfectly calibrated so I went back to using it.

carl

Couple more little guys I liberated on a tool rescue expedition recently at Shupps Grove Flea market in Adamstown Pa........

[Image: P1030487.jpg]

RE: plane hammer - bandit571 - 05-22-2018

Had to make a new handle for one hammer..
Uhoh 
[attachment=10542]
But this was more for a Cobbler....

RE: plane hammer - C. in Indy - 05-22-2018

And for my part, I also like a lighter hammer.   For woodie planes I also like an all-wood hammer, just in case I smack somewhere other than the metal strike button.   My favorite adjuster hammer is a tad over 7 oz.   Tonight I scrounged a dense piece of oak to work up another hammer, this one just about 6 oz total.   I like a bit of "bounce" in the hammer, and these do that for me.

[attachment=10546]