Woodnet Forums
Wood ID Help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wood ID Help (/showthread.php?tid=7339800)

Wood ID Help - jcredding - 05-25-2018

Friend gave me sections of a tree trunk he said is black walnut but I don't believe - no dark wood in the entire tree.  Pieces are about 12" diameter, sap is deep red and just below the bark is a maroon / almost purple fibrous material.  Grain almost looks like a light colored mahogany.  Appreciate any thoughts on what it is - I'm stumped at this point.

RE: Wood ID Help - Angus - 05-25-2018

If the tree was really throwing walnuts. It would be a English walnut because that wood is not back walnut. English walnut has a kind of grey heartwood when dry. It's not a very attractive wood IMO.

RE: Wood ID Help - Bill Holt - 05-26-2018

The bark is similar to pecan, but to me, pecan is a little darker than the piece pictured.  I roughed 8 pecan bowls just last week.

RE: Wood ID Help - badwhiskey - 05-26-2018

I don't know what it is, but I know that it is not black walnut.

RE: Wood ID Help - sniper - 05-26-2018

(05-26-2018, 02:29 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: I don't know what it is, but I know that it is not black walnut.

+1

Sorry I'm not more help.

RE: Wood ID Help - iclark - 05-26-2018

(05-26-2018, 08:46 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bark is similar to pecan, but to me, pecan is a little darker than the piece pictured.  I roughed 8 pecan bowls just last week.

I am not good with bark, but the pecan yard tree that I harvested was every bit as light as the wood in the picture. I do not remember any red next to the bark, though.

RE: Wood ID Help - Wild Turkey - 06-10-2018

Could it be a Hickory? Hickory nuts could be confused with Walnuts by folks not familiar with trees

RE: Wood ID Help - Arlin Eastman - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:44 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Could it be a Hickory?  Hickory nuts could be confused with Walnuts by folks not familiar with trees

Now that WT said that it could be Butternut which is called White Walnut.  What do you guys think?