Woodnet Forums
Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? (/showthread.php?tid=7340223)

Pages: 1 2

Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - mongo - 06-13-2018

I know that the LN honing guide was built around their products. Anyone have any idea how well Blue Spruce paring or dovetail chisels will work in it?

Thanks

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - Philip1231 - 06-14-2018

(06-13-2018, 10:13 PM)mongo Wrote: I know that the LN honing guide was built around their products.  Anyone have any idea how well Blue Spruce paring or dovetail chisels will work in it?

Thanks

They work just fine.

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - Belle City Woodworking - 06-14-2018

I know Barr Chisels won't fit in the LN Honing Guide.  
Rolleyes

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - mongo - 06-14-2018

Philip1231- Good to know on the Blue spruce appreciate it.

Belle City Woodworking- a shame but good to know as well. They are too thick? I know the slicks would be a bit long?

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - les winter - 06-14-2018

I had Blue Spruce paring chisels and have the LN honing guide.  The 1/4" Blue Spruce did not fit the LN guide.  The 1/2" did perfectly.  The BS 1/4" was a hair too thin for the guide. The guide's lips closed against each other leaving the 1/4" chisel loose.

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - Belle City Woodworking - 06-14-2018

(06-14-2018, 08:14 AM)mongo Wrote: Philip1231-  Good to know on the Blue spruce appreciate it.

Belle City Woodworking- a shame but good to know as well.  They are too thick?  I know the slicks would be a bit long?

They taper the slightest little bit and they are very thick blades.  I have begun to use a Veritas MKII honing guide for the wider chisels and the Narrow Chisel guide for the others.  Shame I had to get these just for these chisel but over the years I believe it will be worth the investment.  The project I worked on today the Barr Chisels made short work of it.

John

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - David Charlesworth - 06-17-2018

Mongo,

L-N have a pair of jaws for small chisels and I suspect these will hold the BS chisel.

Best wishes David

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - Belle City Woodworking - 06-19-2018

(06-17-2018, 12:59 PM)David Charlesworth Wrote: Mongo,

L-N have a pair of jaws for small chisels and I suspect these will hold the BS chisel.

Best wishes David

Thanks for that info David and great to see you positing here!!!

John

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - mongo - 06-23-2018

David thank you very much for the reply. Apologies for my slow reply was transfered at work this last week and things have been a zoo.

Are you overal happy with the guide?

Thank you,

Brad

RE: Blue spruce Chisels in Lie Neisen honing guide ? - David Charlesworth - 06-27-2018

Brad,

I certainly am.  It is a beautiful piece of engineering.

David