Woodnet Forums
Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp (/showthread.php?tid=7340516)

Pages: 1 2

Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - JSpill - 06-25-2018

Although I don't use a wheelchair, I need a ramp to enter my house. I have mobility issues in that I can't lift my legs high enough to negotiate stairs. I am able to walk with a cane or a walker. It's when I get to stairs that the problem arises. The vertical distance from our concrete patio to the patio door of our house is ten inches. There are two steps each with a five inch riser that the ramp would cover. I'm wondering how long the ramp would have to be. I would like to have a six foot long ramp with handrails. Would such a ramp be long enough or would the angle be too severe? The length of the ramp is important to me because a ten foot ramp would end on grass and not the concrete patio. So after all that, my question is posed to folks who have installed or are familiar with mobility ramps. Can I get by with a six foot long ramp or will the angle be too steep? Thanks.

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - fixtureman - 06-25-2018

When we were building ramps they had to be 12 inches run for each inch rise

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - jppierson - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 01:24 PM)JSpill Wrote: Although I don't use a wheelchair, I need a ramp to enter my house. I have mobility issues in that I can't lift my legs high enough to negotiate stairs. I am able to walk with a cane or a walker. It's when I get to stairs that the problem arises. The vertical distance from our concrete patio to the patio door of our house is ten inches. There are two steps each with a five inch riser that the ramp would cover. I'm wondering how long the ramp would have to be. I would like to have a six foot long ramp with handrails. Would such a ramp be long enough or would the angle be too severe? The length of the ramp is important to me because a ten foot ramp would end on grass and not the concrete patio. So after all that, my question is posed to folks who have installed or are familiar with mobility ramps. Can I get by with a six foot long ramp or will the angle be too steep? Thanks.

Recommended ADA grade for walking elderly or unassisted wheelchair is 1:12. So that would make your ramp 10 feet. see this link for a chart
http://www.disabilitysystems.com/ramps/ramp-guide.html

When I was in a landscape architecture program the max grade for a ramp was 8% the same as 1:12 or so. That 8% is fairly steep particularly for long distances, you could probably cheat your distance. What is the maximum height you can lift your foot? Take that elevation and divide it by your stride. You wouldn't want to go any steeper since you would end up with the same problem. Since 10ft puts you in the grass, are you able to add a cement pad to connect the end of the ramp with the patio? I would suggest using the 60" diameter circle rule see http://evstudio.com/wheelchair-turn-space-options-in-the-americans-with-disabilities-act-ada/

Hope this helps
Jim

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - TDKPE - 06-25-2018

I believe the ADA requirement for commercial applications is 1:12, which in this case means for every 1" of rise, 12" of run is required.  That would make yours 10 ft long.  Now, yours is not a commercial application, and I believe you can do anything you want, but I don't know what 1.7:12 (8.1 deg. instead of 4.8 deg.) would be like. 

Can you make a 90 deg. turn to the patio concrete to keep a 1:12 slope?  Or make two 5 ft runs starting at an angle to the porch so keep the 10 ft total?  Kind of unusual, but again, it's not a public accommodation.  

Also, if you can, try a 6 ft length of plywood with a 10" rise, to see if you can negotiate it.  Sounds steep, though, for walker or cane use.

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - EricU - 06-25-2018

since it's not a wheelchair ramp, you don't really have to live with those requirements.  However, what do you think the odds are that  you might need a wheelchair in the future?  For me, I figure they are pretty good, but hopefully not too soon.

I was in chicago and saw a wheelchair ramp that was at about a 30 degree angle.  For daredevils I guess.

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - CLETUS - 06-25-2018

Unfortunately, this all depends on your capabilities. I've only built one... 1' for every 1" of rise.

If the only issue is lifting your foot 5", I'd guess going slow up the steeper ramp would be fine.

If not, you could always have small cement pad added if you go out to 10'.

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - JSpill - 06-25-2018

It certainly didn't take long to get responses. Thank you. When it comes to disabilities it is certainly prudent to follow ADA guidelines. I will most likely call the business that installed a stairlift in my house. They  will of course only install a ramp that follows ADA guidelines. This means a ten foot ramp. With that being said, I feel strongly I could negotiate an angle steeper than what the ADA calls for.

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - CLETUS - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 02:26 PM)JSpill Wrote:  With that being said, I feel strongly I could negotiate an angle steeper than what the ADA calls for.

Then have someone build a shorter ramp for you. Where do you live?

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - Roly - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 02:52 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Then have someone build a shorter ramp for you. Where do you live?
 Along with where you live is snow and ice a issue ?  I would go so far to a landing and turn 90 degrees and maybe do it again if need be.   Normally as we age things don't get better as far as mobility issues so make it easy  for you now.   Roly

RE: Mobility issues -- need wheelchair ramp - JSpill - 06-25-2018

Snow and ice only a problem from Nov.--- May. 
   Buffalo NY
Cool