Woodnet Forums
cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? (/showthread.php?tid=7341033)

Pages: 1 2

cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - overland - 07-16-2018

Will any kind of cedar work to discourage moths, or do I need a special kind?
I should add that I'm asking because I have some thin tongue and groove cedar that's not of the aromatic kind, and I'm wondering if it would have any effect on moths.

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Cooler - 07-16-2018

I always heard "aromatic cedar", but I don't know if that is an actual specification.

Addendum:

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/category/Aromatic_Cedar.html

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Cooler - 07-16-2018

And this:  https://www.marthastewart.com/264609/the-basics-of-mothproofing

I favor the "lavender" solution:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.92)]Lavender[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.92)]Using this plant to repel clothes moths is an old homemaker's trick. Sachets filled with lavender (and/or laced with its oil) and suspended in your closet or tucked in your drawers are said to protect woolens. They will also leave a pleasant scent behind. Lavender will not, however, kill moth eggs or larvae, so be sure the space is free of them first.[/color]

https://www.amazon.com/TooGet-Fragrant-Lavender-Organic-Wholesale/dp/B06XY2TTCK/ref=asc_df_B06XY2TTCK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=238614861298&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10930688657809466300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004237&hvtargid=pla-392359930000&psc=1

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Gary G™ - 07-16-2018

You can also hang sachets (just got this word) filled with Camphor shavings.

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Stwood_ - 07-16-2018

I've always used red cedar (aromatic)

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - jcousins2 - 07-16-2018

also called incense cedar - big box stores usually have it - https://www.lowes.com/pd/CedarSafe-15-sq-ft-Red-Aromatic-Cedar-Wall-Plank-Kit/3726921

boxed in small amounts - t&g 3/8 thick - usually glue it to plywood for the bottom
jerry

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - Willyou - 07-16-2018

Also, keep in mind that the oil from aromatic cedar will stain your clothing. Don't place clothing in direct contact with it.

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - rwe2156 - 07-17-2018

Red cedar.

Do not finish.

It loosed its aroma due to oxidation so about once a year rough it up with some sandpaper to release new resins..

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - giradman - 07-17-2018

(07-16-2018, 05:34 PM)jcousins2 Wrote: also called incense cedar - big box stores usually have it - https://www.lowes.com/pd/CedarSafe-15-sq-ft-Red-Aromatic-Cedar-Wall-Plank-Kit/3726921

boxed in small amounts - t&g 3/8 thick - usually glue it to plywood for the bottom
jerry

Same here - I've made two chests to hold clothes and bought the 'thin' cedar T&G slats from Lowe's or Home Depot to line the insides - do not finish - when the smell disappears, just do a light sanding.  Dave
Smile

RE: cedar chest lining -- type of cedar? - hbmcc - 07-17-2018

Some Aromatic Cedars of the United States

Most plant species have a multitude of similar, and same, common names. One's ironwood (given to any hard wood) is another's mesquite. Cedar seems to reign in first place for most common of plant names. I have to go to scientific names to know which is which. But, the botanists and horticulturalists and taxonomists are also messing with names. Anyway... 

All aromatic cedars have essential oils that are unpleasant to insects, but tend to off-gas and lose effectiveness. Sanding the wood surface can recharge much of the fragrance. All of the following are used in furniture and other construction to resist insect attack. Being western based, my experience will favor West Coast species.

Aromatic CedarJuniperus virginiana. Traditionally used for 'cedar' chests, hope chests. Other names: Eastern Red Cedar. Native range is eastern mid-Atlantic states. The surface of wood needs periodic sanding to 'recharge' fragrance, as is true with all cedars having fragrance.

Incense Cedar- Calocedrus decurrens. Considered insect and rot resistant, Incense cedar, or California Cedar has little fragrance in my own experience. An alternative to Western Red Cedar, its range is the western US. It's the evergreen you see in pictures of Yosemite Park. 

Alaska Yellow Cedar- Cupressus nootkatensis (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis). An evergreen tree of the Pacific coast from Washington north to the Arctic Circle. The tree was highly revered by indigenous tribes, along with Western Red Cedar, for canoes, and everyday utility. Yellow Cedar will be extinct in most of its range due to climate change. Some people find the fragrance objectionable. I notice variability in odor; some intensely fragrant and others unpleasant.

Northern White Cedar- Thuja occidentalis. The eastern cousin to Western Red Cedar, and much more diminutive in stature, White Cedar is prized as durable exterior lumber. Its fragrance is similar to WRC. 

Western Red Cedar- Thuja plicata. Western Cedar is intensely managed for durable lumber in decking, and fencing. Very little of the old growth timber remains that can be safely used for ground contact construction, and is too costly for that use. The old-growth wood has the greatest fragrance and is used for insect proofing.

Port Orford CedarChamaecyparis lawsoniana.   Having a small native range in northern coastal California to southern-central Pacific coast of Oregon, and nearly extinct species, Port Orford Cedar was the natural alternative to Japanese religious building construction, which has prevented most timber from being consumed locally. This Cedar is uniquely and intensely fragrant. Popularity as a landscape plant may extend the species. However, its size can compete with redwoods.