Woodnet Forums
How to protect hand tools from rust - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to protect hand tools from rust (/showthread.php?tid=7341202)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to protect hand tools from rust - JSpill - 07-24-2018

My hand tools are kept on open shelving in a basement shop. I'm fortunate that humidity levels are low and it is a dry shop. I still want to treat my planes and chisels after use before putting them back on the shelves. I don't want to use a product that attracts dust. How have you approached this problem in a basement shop? Thanks.

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - Herb G - 07-24-2018

Boeshield.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001447PEK

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - daddo - 07-24-2018

You can go down the isle at any store and see dozens of products that claim to be the best, but they all do the same thing- coat the metal to prevent moisture/oxygen from getting to the surface of the tool. If the product evaporates too quickly you have to re-coat more often.
Paste Wax works too.

I use what I have, but I mostly just use cheap non-detergent motor oil thinned a little with mineral spirits or a 2 dollar spray can of that cheap lubricant from the dollar store. You don't need a thick layer, just rub it in well and wipe it off. Since your dry there, just about anything would work. Use a slightly oily rag to wipe tools after you touch them and before putting them away. Even dry surfaces get dusty- so I'm not sure what your expecting.

I'm humid here and have no problems with rust- unless I get careless.

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - Derrick Swinarsky - 07-24-2018

(07-24-2018, 08:49 AM)JSpill Wrote: My hand tools are kept on open shelving in a basement shop. I'm fortunate that humidity levels are low and it is a dry shop. I still want to treat my planes and chisels after use before putting them back on the shelves. I don't want to use a product that attracts dust. How have you approached this problem in a basement shop? Thanks.

Paul Sellers uses a rag in a can oiler both to help keep the toosl from rusting and to help them cut more smoothly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKo1y2e8RI

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - toolmiser - 07-24-2018

Question about "rag in a can", my neighbor was lawn mowing right outside my window so I couldn't hear (now blowing grass also), but how safe is it? I've always heard cautions about spontaneous combustion?

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - cputnam - 07-24-2018

I have used Corrosion-X HD (same can) for over 20 years and no tool that I have wiped down with it has rusted. I spray some on a rag and use the rag to wipe down the tools. When done, I store the rag in a screw top jar to keep the volatiles from escaping. Discovered it while saltwater fishing. If it works on a fishing boat it will work in your basement.

Corrosion-X

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - Handplanesandmore - 07-25-2018

No issue there: Paul uses 3 in one oil.

Simon

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - Carl Grover - 07-25-2018

Go to the grocery store and get a big can of Johnson's paste wax. It's been around for 100 years. After you get through working with a tool for the day wipe it down with that, let it dry overnight, then wipe it again. No rust issues, no finishing issues. Easy peezy lemon squeezy

carl

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - JSpill - 07-25-2018

Thank you for responding. I see I have a lot of simple options.

RE: How to protect hand tools from rust - AHill - 07-25-2018

(07-24-2018, 07:59 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Question about "rag in a can", my neighbor was lawn mowing right outside my window so I couldn't hear (now blowing grass also), but how safe is it?  I've always heard cautions about spontaneous combustion?

Spontaneous combustion only happens when an oil cures (oxidizes).  Most oil-based wood finishes are at risk.  As they cure, they heat up.  Not a problem with lubricating oils, like the 3-in-1 Sellers uses, since they either do not cure or their oxidation rate is so slow, there's no significant exothermic reaction to heat up the oil to its flash point.