Woodnet Forums
Tools From Japan? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tools From Japan? (/showthread.php?tid=7341242)

Pages: 1 2

Tools From Japan? - Aram - 07-25-2018

Has anyone heard from Stu at Tools From Japan? I realize he has been coping with a death in the family. I was wondering if anyone knows, has he suspended dealing with his business for a while? I ordered something in May and emailed him once or twice. No replies. He usually gets back to me.

I'm not in any hurry (it's just a chisel) and family comes first. Just wondering what is up, if anyone knows. Hope he's doing ok.

Thanks.

RE: Tools From Japan? - hbmcc - 07-25-2018

Not for quite a while. The last time I think he didn't charge the card until the order was sent. Check your account, in case. Ever since I was ripped off by Big Wood Vice, I have been really touchy about ordering anything; even to the point of introducing myself and requesting a response from the vendor; normally, small vendors. No response, they go on my bad apple list and I stay away.

RE: Tools From Japan? - Handplanesandmore - 07-26-2018

I only deal with mainstream vendors like Woodcraft etc. I am not aware of any tools that one can't get from one of the so many established merchants out there.

Simon

RE: Tools From Japan? - Aram - 07-26-2018

(07-26-2018, 08:13 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I only deal with mainstream vendors like Woodcraft etc. I am not aware of any tools that one can't get from one of the so many established merchants out there.

Simon

The Koyamaichi chisels I bought from Tools From Japan are the best chisels I have ever owned. You bang on them and bang on them, and they keep a keen edge for an impossibly long time. They also have a great feel and balance, for me anyway.

They are not a Rockler commodity type of item.

Also Stu is a good guy.

RE: Tools From Japan? - Admiral - 07-26-2018

(07-26-2018, 09:43 AM)Aram Wrote: Also Stu is a good guy.

Very honorable and sells excellent tools.  I'm sorry to hear of his loss.

RE: Tools From Japan? - Skip J. - 07-30-2018

(07-26-2018, 06:52 PM)Admiral Wrote: Very honorable and sells excellent tools.  I'm sorry to hear of his loss.

Stu is a very good guy..... also sorry to hear this news....

RE: Tools From Japan? - Souperchicken - 07-30-2018

I ordered a set of sharpening stones May 4 and they shipped May 18- not fast but I know he's just a one man operation and his prices are very good so I don't mind. They arrived May 30.  

This was actually the second set I ordered, the first were for me, these were for my brother, I'd recommend him as well as these stones to anyone.  If anyone is curious this is what I ordered:
Sigma Power ceramic 1000-6000-13000 special set. (4185351613-3)

The set comes with a nice stone holder and an Atoma 400 diamond plate for flattening; they were $300 shipped, I don't think you can do better.

RE: Tools From Japan? - EricU - 07-31-2018

I don't see any news -- mark me down as confused

RE: Tools From Japan? - Skip J. - 08-01-2018

(07-31-2018, 08:43 AM)EricU Wrote: I don't see any news -- mark me down as confused

Hello Eric;

Here is a link to Stu's sad blog post:
Stu's Mom's passing

RE: Tools From Japan? - barryvabeach - 08-09-2018

I placed an order recently with Stu.  I got a confirmation from him today that it shipped, and he also refunded a few dollars of the shipping, saying it had been miscalculated.  Truly a stand up guy.