Woodnet Forums
mounting drawer slides - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: mounting drawer slides (/showthread.php?tid=7341462)

Pages: 1 2

mounting drawer slides - mikey2222 - 08-04-2018

Hi all

I'm building a desk for our home office and it will have 6 drawers, two of which will be large for holding hanging files and will carry some weight. Does it make a difference for these larger drawers where I mount the the drawer slides? Should they be mounted at the bottom of the drawer or somewhere near the middle? The slides will be full extension, rated for 100 pounds

Thanks
Mikey

RE: mounting drawer slides - Bill Holt - 08-04-2018

I am 99% sure location is not important.  Out of habit, I always mount them low.  I think the most common location is near center of the drawer.

RE: mounting drawer slides - rudedan60 - 08-04-2018

I recently started replacing my kitchen drawers with new drawers with side mount slides.  I placed a dado groove in the middle of the drawer.  This proved a mistake, because I was restricted to this spot.  Since the cabinets were not new the openings were not square.  I ended up making new sides so I could place the slides on the bottom of the side, with the gap.  It was a lot easier to install. and could use my drawer jigs or simple spacers.  For the drawers I stayed simple and used Pocket screws, Both 3/4" & 1/2" plywood for the sides and backs (made it easy to make new sides). May do a drawer box bit, I-box jig or Lock miter  for the remainder of them. Dan

RE: mounting drawer slides - fredhargis - 08-04-2018

I also think it's not of importance, but I try to mount them low as well.

RE: mounting drawer slides - Stwood_ - 08-04-2018

I use the slide guns/holders, and they are made to mount the slides on the bottom of the sides.

RE: mounting drawer slides - EricU - 08-05-2018

(08-04-2018, 09:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use the slide guns/holders, and they are made to mount the slides on the bottom of the sides.

what is a slide gun/holder?

RE: mounting drawer slides - Stwood_ - 08-05-2018

For euro slides.

https://smile.amazon.com/Blum-65-3300-Metabox-Accessories-Minifix/dp/B001DT1T3O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1533484043&sr=8-8&keywords=drawer+slide+tool

Kreg and others make a magnetic one for full extension slides

https://smile.amazon.com/Rok-Hardware-Magnetic-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B01JNSSI4E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533484043&sr=8-5&keywords=drawer+slide+tool

RE: mounting drawer slides - EricU - 08-06-2018

that looks like something really useful to have, thanks.  For once, the euro price is cheaper

RE: mounting drawer slides - Mike in kc - 08-07-2018

One thing I do when mounting slides is to raise the front of the slide, both on the cabinet and drawer, about a quarter of an inch.    This results in an easier, often self closing drawer.  The pitch isn't such that the drawer won't stay open, but often will self close when pushed.

RE: mounting drawer slides - rwe2156 - 08-08-2018

You an also use spacers for mounting slides.

Start with the top slide, cut spacer down as you go.

Works great for me, ensures square and even spacing.