Woodnet Forums
A Project for the Boss - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A Project for the Boss (/showthread.php?tid=7342235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: A Project for the Boss - titanxt - 09-07-2018

Really cool!! Its awesome to be able to get an idea from a furniture store and the OK from the Mrs to make a custom version. Really nice!

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-07-2018

Computer issues this morning..
Upset
Upset
Upset  restarts took a while...decided to kill the time with a little shop time...

Panel #1 was taken out of the clamps..
[attachment=12809]
And then set a little lower, so i could joint the edges....using a couple planes...
Cool 
[attachment=12810]
Until both edges were straight..
Cool 
[attachment=12811]
Used the jack plane to get the worst of the high spots down close to the "low" spots...
[attachment=12812]
Then, the No. 7c took over, until everything was shiny..and square.  one edge will get a face frame, the other a rebate for the plywood back...helps to have a straight edge to work with..
Was wading around in shavings...decided to go ahead and get Panel #2 into the clamps...so Panel #1 was set aside....NOT on the floor, but on some scrap pine, in case we get another creek in the shop
Upset   the end should stay dry. 
part 2 coming right up...
Winkgrin
Cool

Ok, part two  of this morning's follies...Set a 1 x 6 into the vise, and clamped the other end to the bench's apron...
[attachment=12813]
Different jack this time around...taller high spots at the ends.   Got this  almost straight...checked for gaps and any rocking..
[attachment=12814]
Hmm, needs more work
Rolleyes   until it fit tightly all the way along...then mrked these two as to where they will go together at  with a "V" across the joint.

repeat that for the other 1 x 6....until a no gap fit was obtained...marked that.   Then spread a bead of glue along the freshly planed edge, moosh the filler strip around into the bead.  Add a bead to the filler strip, and add the first 1 x 6..
[attachment=12816]

All that is holding these three in place, is two beads of glue...But, I added the clamps, anyway..
[attachment=12817]
Started with the center clamp, then the end clamps, then add the cauls...
[attachment=12818]
To pull the ends flat.   You can see panel #1 in the back ground. 

Will let this mess sit for a while, need to do a bit of drawing....have webframes to figure out....and where to cut the center dividers.  

Stay tuned... (  Boris:  I have Plan, they don't always work out, but I always have Plan)

RE: A Project for the Boss - Arlin Eastman - 09-07-2018

Looking great so far.  So I am thinking you said the ash will be showing and the pine is inside and the back correct?

Yep...and I am trying to talk her out of PAINTING the darn thing....
Upset

RE: A Project for the Boss - Bozz - 09-08-2018

Looking good! You do your glue ups vertically. Does that get to be a problem with the squeeze-out running down?

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-08-2018

No...as I usually wipe the worst  off.   The vises act as a third hand.   Really don't have the room to lay a large glue-up down.   besides, with the vise holding one part of the glue-up, that part can't shift around while trying to add the rest of the parts, AND the clamps.   And, I don't have to clean glue off my clamps afterwards. 

Usually, I have to plane the glue joints flat.    The Stanley #70 scraper plane will remove any squeeze outs, then a "normal" plane can flatten the joints.

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-08-2018

Got panel two out of the clamps..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=12831]
One edge was jointed, then decided to clamp both panels together...and plane the last  edge until it matched
[attachment=12833]
Use this jack plane to get things close, then the 62 and then the #7c....tried to square the ends for the tops of the panels
[attachment=12834]
No longer can trust this square.
Upset ...had to go back and recut the ends..
Upset ..then lay out and cut a foot profile...on the other ends..
[attachment=12835]
Well, it IS a vintage saw..
Rolleyes  got both ends of both panels done...and stacked out of the way..
Cool 
[attachment=12836]
Now I just have to build all the stuff to connect these two panels....and see about a top.  Going to be a while on this build

Norm would have taken one show...
Laugh

RE: A Project for the Boss - GeorgeV - 09-09-2018

I built this for my better half.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r067k2vz8z4qxx/STEREO%20CABINET.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ealeuhior84wwhd/STEREO%20CABINET%202.jpg?dl=0

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-09-2018

Did some drawing...both last night, and this morning..We have Plan!  ( need a cut list, next..
Rolleyes )
Last night's sketch was to show a few locations...
Cool 
[attachment=12851]
Where the frames will go, where the dividers will be....minus any face frames.   There is a center foot planned as well, no saggy middle.
This morning sat down to draw up a plan for the webframes...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=12852]
The pen and it's stand will go back to the computer desk.  Came up with a plan for the frames..
Cool  
[attachment=12853]
Need two of these.  The second one will have an extra rail, to attach the center foot to.  Need to haul the paperwork and some of these..
[attachment=12854]
to the shop..we have a lot of cutting to do, and maybe a lot of cussing.  

Stereo Stand looks good!   The Boss wants the fireplace insert for her's, and to sit the TV on.  

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin