Woodnet Forums
A Project for the Boss - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A Project for the Boss (/showthread.php?tid=7342235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: A Project for the Boss - Skip J. - 09-17-2018

(09-16-2018, 02:55 PM)bandit571 Wrote: ....... and shoulder plane..
Cool  

Has a skewed iron, tapered, too..
Cool  

Hello Bandit....

Yep - I use my woodies as shoulder planes also, I have one in 1" and 1.5" and 2" widths.... don't need a metal one... They are a little bit tricky to register on a shoulder, have to be careful about the wood body bumping against the stock, but otherwise they're great!

Thanks for the posts!

RE: A Project for the Boss - Hank Knight - 09-17-2018

Bandit,

In response to Allan Hill's post, I want you to know that I follow your posts. I don't respond much, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying what you are doing. Your builds prove that you don't need a shop full of Festool and high end hand tools to build real, quality furniture. All you need is some basic tools and the drive to "get 'er done." I appreciate that and it has been an inspiration for me to go down to my shop and get 'er done.
Thank you. I hope you keep posting.

Hank

RE: A Project for the Boss - BpB123 - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018, 05:54 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Bandit,

In response to Allan Hill's post, I want you to know that I follow your posts. I don't respond much, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying what you are doing. Your builds prove that you don't need a shop full of Festool and high end hand tools to build real, quality furniture. All you need is some basic tools and the drive to "get 'er done." I appreciate that and it has been an inspiration for me to go down to my shop and get 'er done.
Thank you. I hope you keep posting.

Hank

Me Too!  (Well put Hank!)

RE: A Project for the Boss - cputnam - 09-17-2018

Another lurker and appreciater

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-17-2018

Walk-about today....made an offer on an item...will know more later this week.

Before that?   Took those half lap ends, and made them into dovetail ends..
Cool 
[attachment=13136]
Then used this as a pattern...
[attachment=13137]
Used the backsaw..more cuts I made, the easier it was to remove the waste
[attachment=13138]
Used a wide chisel and the skewed rabbet plane..
[attachment=13139]
Until the "pattern" fit flush...repeat for the other end...then a test fit, of sorts..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13140]
Just about ready to glue and clamp the face frame up as a "unit",  later will drill a bunch of counter-bored pilot holes, to attach it to the case.    This things will need to take a lot of moving around...screw on will hold up better than the just glue on.   Have a few Ash scraps, I can make plugs that will match the colour and grain....and disappear when stained..no, plugs I use are NOT end grain showing ones....face grain are what I use. 

So..IF tomorrow you happen to hear a lot of cussing going on...that will mean a glue-up in progress....stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: A Project for the Boss - Bill Holt - 09-17-2018

I'm guilty as well!

I pay close attention to your builds, enjoy nearly every picture, and marvel at the steady pace you accomplish the build WITH pictures!!!!!!!!

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-18-2018

After Lunch..piled up every small clamp I could find...and still wasn't enough
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13152]
Had to remember that I was working from the "inside" of the face frame...got some done, without too much cussing (still early?) 
[attachment=13153]
Biggest thing, was to keep things as square as I could....
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13154]
Had to use a pipe clamp in one spot, a couple of my F style clamps elsewhere...as that pile of smaller clamps..
Confused  
[attachment=13155]
While this mess sits around all day, waiting on the glue to dry...I cleared the top of the case off.  Started to haul three planks to the shop..
[attachment=13156]
And, these two were the shorter ones.  The third was 20" longer (80")
All three have "issues" with knots, where I don't want knots to be.....two rip cuts, after while, and a few crosscuts...should get rid of most of the troublemakers.  Then, maybe a glue up, for the top of the case?   Will need to move that frame...may need the bench again
Uhoh ..at least I have enough pipe clamps for that...I hope..

Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-19-2018

Boards for the top..
Cool  
[attachment=13191]This sort of thing has been ripped off.   Just one board.  The second knot like this will go to the back edge of the top..where the wall can stare at it all day long.  Why just the one rip?
Confused  
[attachment=13192]
I can not lose another 1-1/2" in width...and maintain any sort of overhang.   Width of the case will also get 3/4" more, from the face frame...and, by the time these are planed straight 
[attachment=13194]
I'll lose a bit more in the width of the top.....I used a Vintage saw, to trim one end..
[attachment=13195]
Same saw also made that rip cut.    Craftsman 7-1/4....all metal body.   I used the top of the case to act as a tall Saw Bench
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13196]
I also trimmed the drawer front to width/length...

More to come..stay tuned..

Alrighty, then....this morning's work was cut short by the Boss needing to run some errands...but..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13197]
Clamps came off the frame....and the frame set roughly into place...and clamped there....Found my brand new 3/8" Forstner bit, and got it ready..
[attachment=13198]
Drill a few counter-bores first, then come back and drill the pilot holes.  Maybe Saturday?
Rolleyes  Had one plank that needed ripped down into stiles for the doors, needed 4 stiles
[attachment=13199]
clamped them up, trimmed to close to final length.....then the "fun" began...somehow all four taper end to end. and not all of them were the same widths...a bit wavy
Rolleyes 
So..
[attachment=13200]
These two tried....got all four the same size....except for that tapered part....time for Heft&Hubris...
Cool  
[attachment=13201]
Worked my way back from the high end.  A Stanley #8 can handle all four parts at once....once it gets going, the wood doesn't argue...

Stiles are about ready...stay tuned..

Ok, these doors have three kinds of parts....just got the stiles about  done...they will get a visit from this type of plane...
[attachment=13202]
Ploughs a 1/4" groove.   Then will chop a few mortises for the next items...the rails 
[attachment=13203]
Each door gets a top rail, a "lock rail", and the bottom rail...plus a pair of skinny intermediate rails...Have since cut the last two skinny rails.   These also get a groove, to house a raise panel....I think I have enough of these "scraps"..
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13204]
That I can make 8 panels.   Once I figure out how wide the panels need to be.    Have a lot of plough work to do, and a lot of chopping holes to do...will need this saw..
[attachment=13205]
set up the depth stops, and make a lot of shoulder cuts....

Starting to get into the "fun" stuff, now....stay tuned
Winkgrin