Woodnet Forums
A Project for the Boss - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A Project for the Boss (/showthread.php?tid=7342235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-26-2018

And, what USED to be the chisel..
No  
[attachment=13402]
Snuck back to the shop last night, was SUPPOSED to be getting a load of towels out of the dryer, and bring upstairs ( and dump the clothes in the washer over into the dryer)

Instead of messing around with the jigs, just did things the way Paul Sellers does...stand it up in a vise.   Even used a British Stanley plane
Cool  
[attachment=13403]
and a few other planes.  Got the bevels done, the rebates milled.   Good face had a touch of snipe, face plane the board down from 4/4 to where the bevel blended into the snipe.  Other face was bowed a bit..right down the center....planed that flat...dry fit the panel...adjusted the fit a bit..try again..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13404]
Panel #4 WAS prepped....
[attachment=13405]
Was getting a bit tired....so I just swept up the shavings from panel #3, and what little I made from Panel #4....
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13406]
Got the towels out of the dryer, reloaded it with what was in the washer, dragged me and the laundry basket upstairs...that was it for Tuesday's Follies
Winkgrin 

Maybe IF I get the last panel down...I may try a glue up?   More than welcome to show up and help out...
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned...

Got too sweaty, today...Heart Monitor won't stay put.
Rolleyes ...was a very busy afternoon..
Winkgrin ..but...
[attachment=13409]
Panel #4 is done, glue spread around, clamps applied....leaves me to clean the floor..again
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13410]
And straighten out the top of the bench...for the next item on the list..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13411]

Will let this sit overnight, no real rush.    Will need to fit it to the opening....maybe some hinges (3) and a knob?     And decide what item to do next..

Stay tuned

Tried out a different hand saw tonight...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13415]
Decided to cut the drawers sides out of 1 x 6 Ash....back of the drawer will be Pine. 
[attachment=13416]
Needed to "shoot" the ends a bit
 [attachment=13417]
One end needed a little bit more than the plane could do...
[attachment=13418]
We have ways...what is still left of the good 1 x 6 scraps....
[attachment=13419]
Will be enough to build the second door.  

Tomorrow, I can start on cutting through dovetails....and MAYBE get that
Upset  door fitted and hinged?
Stay tuned...

RE: A Project for the Boss - Admiral - 09-27-2018

(09-26-2018, 10:59 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Needed to "shoot" the ends a bit

I see you're liking that low angle jack you won... its showed up quite a bit in the pics since you brought it home.

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-27-2018

(09-27-2018, 07:51 AM)Admiral Wrote: I see you're liking that low angle jack you won... its showed up quite a bit in the pics since you brought it home.

Still learning HOW it wants to be used, though.....tears out badly, as a small jointer.....as a smoother?   Jury is still out.....prefer my bevel down ones.

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-27-2018

Ok, not enough space for the 23 photos from today's Shop Follies, So, a couple of teasers, instead..
Cool  
[attachment=13436]
Door has been trimmed to size, hinges installed, and the knob.
[attachment=13437]
Blank for the drawer front has been jointed ( one edge was still rough sawn), face planed to see which looked better..
[attachment=13438]
And a groove for the plywood bottom done

Laid out and milled a few pins...
[attachment=13439]
Then milled the tails to match...and then a dry fit into the case..
Cool 
[attachment=13440]

Was almost Supper time.  May or may not return to the shop, tonight, may wait until tomorrow.  Drawer sides need a groove for the drawer bottom, and a dado  for the drawer's back to sit in.   Need to cut the back of the drawer to size....may even get a glue up of the drawer?   Then back to "Door Building 101"  or  make 5 fixed shelves....want to get all the inside stuff done, before I button up the back of the case.....area behind the insert stays open. 
Almost half way done?   Stay tuned..

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-28-2018

This might take more than one post, hope nobody minds
Rolleyes 
One hour of shop time this afternoon.....plus dealing with a furnace that won't start...one of THEM days
No 
Took the drawer sides to the bench, one at a time.   They needed face plane flat...
[attachment=13449]
Even added a hint of round-over  to the top edge.  Then a couple clamps and the stanley 45..
[attachment=13450]
Then saw a couple lines with the mitre box saw..
[attachment=13451]
Then three tools to get rid of the waste, to form a dado...
Cool 
[attachment=13452]
A mortise chisel from Okinawa (12mm), and a hammer to drive it along...to hog things out.   A Stanley #39  3/8" to level the bottom of the "trench", er,,, dado.  Then do the other drawer side the same way.   Need to haul that Pine 1 x 6 to the shop, and cut it to size for the drawer's back.   Then cut the plywood bottom to size....IF I go back to the shop, this evening, that is.    Once those two items are done, I can glue up the drawer....we'll see.
Stay tuned..
Something to do with these things on my table...
Confused 
[attachment=13453]
Have to read the next exciting episode...
Winkgrin

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-28-2018

Ok, those boards were old flooring scraps.  They will make a fixed shelf above this thing..
[attachment=13454]
This is the electric Fireplace insert.   The longest of those 7 T & G boards will make the front edge of the fixed shelf.   The other six will sit running front to back, sitting on cleats.  Top of shelf will be flush with the top of the front....leaving an air space for the heater's fan to draw air from.  

That chisel?
Confused  
[attachment=13455]
Came all the way from Okinawa, Japan...12mm.   Still trying to find out what "brand "it is.   Used the Riveting Hammer to drive it along..
[attachment=13456]
As for the Stanley No. 39..
[attachment=13457]
Didn't need to use the spurs, as the dado walls were already made.    Just a way to smooth and level things out....As for the "Prototype"  
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13458]
This was in the local Odd Lots store....36" tall, by 54" long......The version I am doing..41" tall by  57" long.   Those fake drawers have been combined into one center drawer.  Keeping the doors on the sides...without faking a drawer.   Will have that fireplace insert in the same spot....The back is open behind the heater insert..air  flow.   Their adjustable shelve behind the door...will be fixed ones in mine...

That be the "Plan" so far...stay tuned...
Winkgrin

RE: A Project for the Boss - mound - 09-28-2018

The best part of these posts is not the project, rather, the lesson in hand tools.

Projects are cool too
Cool

Keep 'em coming!

RE: A Project for the Boss - bandit571 - 09-29-2018

Well, the 1x 6 was cut to give me a back for the drawer...Disston D-100, this time around.   Blank needed a little off the top, to allow for the drawer bottom.   Bandsaw had just enough clearance to cut the plywood for the bottom panel of the drawer.   Have a pair of 6" sweep braces, one a pilot drill, one a countersink bit....three holes in the center line of both dados, countersink the holes on the outside.    Spread a lot of glue around pins, and dados....bang the sides together with the front, add the back...three screws per side at the back, no clamps needed, there.    Three clamps across the front of the drawer...add the drawer bottom.    Check for square...adjust as needed.   Then screws to attach the drawer bottom to the bottom of the drawer's back.  I even marked a center point and installed the knob...

But, where to sit this thing, IF I needed to use the bench anytime soon?
Confused 
[attachment=13463]
Works for me
Winkgrin    Thanks to a kicker in the frame above the drawer...
[attachment=13464]
Drawer does not tip down, even with those clamps on the front..   You can even pull it almost all the way out, and still doesn't tip.  

Apparently, the front of the fixed shelf, above the heater insert, is something called Brazilian Teak? 
[attachment=13465]
Bandsaw hates cutting it..
No 
[attachment=13466]
And planes squeak and squawk going along the edge grain, after I ripped the tongue ...
[attachment=13467]
Still...might make a nice accent piece, right above the black insert frame?   We'll see...

Clamps got removed this morning...some hardware taken to the shop....BP Meds causing issues, will take the rest of the day off.....will see about how it goes..
Stay tuned..