Woodnet Forums
I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... (/showthread.php?tid=7342459)

I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - titanxt - 09-14-2018

I built this plane a long time ago.... I can't say that it was a love at first swipe relationship. It was "cool" because I made it and it had a really hefty blade, but it didn't work so hot. More accurately, I didn't know how to use it. I glued up a piece of poplar poorly and as my punishment, I decided to plane it flat. After all of the hard work with the other planes, I decided to give the wooden plane another go. After our long separation time I think I finally have the beginning of the gist of how to get the blade positioned and to take some half-way decent shavings. I will definitely give it more use and see where this relationshipip goes!

[Image: PbAWLuvl.jpg]

RE: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - cputnam - 09-14-2018

Way to go! Keep us apprised of your journey.

RE: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - Timberwolf - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 03:48 PM)titanxt Wrote: I built this plane a long time ago.... I can't say that it was a love at first swipe relationship. It was "cool" because I made it and it had a really hefty blade, but it didn't work so hot. More accurately, I didn't know how to use it. I glued up a piece of poplar poorly and as my punishment, I decided to plane it flat. After all of the hard work with the other planes, I decided to give the wooden plane another go. After our long separation time I think I finally have the beginning of the gist of how to get the blade positioned and to take some half-way decent shavings. I will definitely give it more use and see where this relationshipip goes!

[Image: PbAWLuvl.jpg]
I know the quality of work you do on pistols....you will certainly master wooden planes!!!!

RE: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - Bibliophile 13 - 09-15-2018

Very nice! It's always satisfying to get a tool in working order.

I love my wooden jack plane. I wouldn't trade it for an iron one, mostly because I prefer a lightweight jack plane. I'm still learning to adjust it properly, but it really does work well.

RE: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - C. in Indy - 09-16-2018

It's a similar story for me.

I first built a wood jack plane in 2009 based on a Derek Cohen article!
I've found a flipped dozens of metal planes since then.  Metal planes, especially Stanleys, are in great demand.
Several times I tried woodies and got sort of frustrated.   But a "see the light" moment came for me when I found a plane-adjusting hammer that was just right.  It wasn't rocket science, but it did have some trial and error.

Now I almost always use a woodie smoother.  Regarding the No. 5 and No. 6 size planes, mostly I use metal ones.   I did even find today that I liked a metal one because I could rapidly switch from right-handed planing to left-handed planing, which helped me on a difficult piece of wood.

Enjoy your project,

Chris

RE: I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes... - Hank Knight - 09-16-2018

You should see a doctor immediately, before it gets worse! Plane fever is an insidious disease!