Woodnet Forums
Upholster's stapler - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Upholster's stapler (/showthread.php?tid=7342696)

Pages: 1 2

Upholster's stapler - GEB - 09-25-2018

Anyone had any experience with an Upholster's stapler? Is there a preference to the width of the staples? 
Bill

RE: Upholster's stapler - atgcpaul - 09-25-2018

Not a pro but for a dining chair (6 chairs) reupholstery project, I used the ubiquitous T50 staples. Since it's going to take a lot of staples, I also bought a Surebonder 9600B pneumatic stapler from Amazon. Best $30 I ever spent! I didn't have any jams and it was effortless to shoot staples without any hand fatigue. I filled up my portable air tank and got tons of shots out of it.

RE: Upholster's stapler - RPE1 - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 12:21 AM)GEB Wrote: Anyone had any experience with an Upholster's stapler? Is there a preference to the width of the staples? 
Bill

I did eight bar stools a while back.   I used a Bostich pneumatic stapler.  I think it uses T-50 staples.  I used the longest staples I could get that would not protrude out the other side of the seat plate.  The staples did make the top ply of the seat plate push up a little, but after you put the thick foam down, it's not a problem. It made life so much easier.  Effortless.  The staples held well.  The gun was great.  You can't imagine how many times you have squeeze the handle on a non pneumatic stapler when doing upholstery.  I got the gun with a compressor.  It was a pancake compressor and three guns for $199.
I believe upholstery staples are real fine wire with narrow crowns.  Maybe I'm wrong.

RP

RE: Upholster's stapler - lift mechanic - 09-25-2018

My wife does upholstery she uses a Senco SFW10XP stapler. 1/2" x 1/2" staples this is a oil less stapler to prevent staining fabric. I use this stapler to lay down titianimum roofing under layment.

RE: Upholster's stapler - Stwood_ - 09-25-2018

I have the US58 Porter cable stapler. 3/8" crown, 22 gauge.
It's been a fine little stapler.

RE: Upholster's stapler - joe1086 - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 09:57 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have the US58 Porter cable stapler. 3/8" crown, 22 gauge.
It's been a fine little stapler.

I have the same one and it's great. Be warned...you can fire off the staples like a machine gun, which is fine until you need to re-reupholster. DAMHIKT.

RE: Upholster's stapler - Stwood_ - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 12:31 PM)joe1086 Wrote: I have the same one and it's great. Be warned...you can fire off the staples like a machine gun

Yes. It doubles as a rat killer in the shop. Be sure and have a flexible, long hose though.
Uhoh

RE: Upholster's stapler - kurt18947 - 09-25-2018

I have a Harbor Freight T50 stapler and it works well. I think air staplers and nailers is one place Harbor Freight does pretty well. The HF stapler doesn't have a safety so have to be a little careful there. I don't use HF staples, I get brand name T50 staples.

RE: Upholster's stapler - GEB - 09-30-2018

(09-25-2018, 06:59 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I have a Harbor Freight T50 stapler and it works well. I think air staplers and nailers is one place Harbor Freight does pretty well. The HF stapler doesn't have a safety so have to be a little careful there. I don't use HF staples, I get brand name T50 staples.

Thanks all for your encouragement and experience. My one time single bar stool can't justify a $30 - $40 investment. That and my very limited experience in upholstery says, "Farm it out".

RE: Upholster's stapler - bennybmn - 10-01-2018

(09-25-2018, 04:49 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Not a pro but for a dining chair (6 chairs) reupholstery project, I used the ubiquitous T50 staples.  Since it's going to take a lot of staples, I also bought a Surebonder 9600B pneumatic stapler from Amazon.  Best $30 I ever spent!  I didn't have any jams and it was effortless to shoot staples without any hand fatigue.  I filled up my portable air tank and got tons of shots out of it.

I ordered one after seeing your comment. Putting vinyl on a couple chairs (and cleaning up/refinishing the wood) for my physical therapist.  First one went OK with my powershot, but this will make it so much easier.