Woodnet Forums
How to square up Japanese chisel - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to square up Japanese chisel (/showthread.php?tid=7342792)

How to square up Japanese chisel - Aram - 09-29-2018

Oops. I sharpen/hone my chisels freehand on water stones. I guess I have my tendencies -- I got one of them off square by a couple degrees, which is a lot. Any suggestions for how to bring it back? I do have a LV honing guide (rarely use it, but have it) if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

RE: How to square up Japanese chisel - Admiral - 09-29-2018

(09-29-2018, 07:53 PM)Aram Wrote: Oops. I sharpen/hone my chisels freehand on water stones. I guess I have my tendencies -- I got one of them off square by a couple degrees, which is a lot. Any suggestions for how to bring it back? I do have a LV honing guide (rarely use it, but have it) if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
That would do it.  Otherwise, you could buy a Tormek....  
Laugh

RE: How to square up Japanese chisel - Aram - 09-29-2018

(09-29-2018, 08:12 PM)Admiral Wrote: That would do it.  Otherwise, you could buy a Tormek....  
Laugh

Sure. Do they make them hand-cranked?

RE: How to square up Japanese chisel - Derek Cohen - 09-29-2018

Use your honing guide on 120 grit sandpaper. Trizact is long lasting. Make the run about 1m (or as long as you can).

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: How to square up Japanese chisel - knockknock - 09-29-2018

Something to keep in mind, the LV honing guide is not going to magically square the edge. You will have to bias your sharping to the high side. Which comes to my suggestion, just bias your sharping each time you sharpen, eventually it will square up.

RE: How to square up Japanese chisel - Aram - 09-30-2018

(09-29-2018, 10:30 PM)knockknock Wrote: Something to keep in mind, the LV honing guide is not going to magically square the edge. You will have to bias your sharping to the high side. Which comes to my suggestion, just bias your sharping each time you sharpen, eventually it will square up.

Thanks. Yeah, that's probably a good way to go.