Woodnet Forums
Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? (/showthread.php?tid=7343426)

Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - wood2woodknot - 10-03-2018

Will cured Arm-R-Seal urethane react with cured Krylon 1303 clear acrylic finish. Krylon is a solvent based (lacquer, I think) acrylic finish.

I have a project involving a number of objects painted with acrylics paints. The objects will be stored in a box finished with a gel stain and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I was going to use the acrylic Krylon 1303 to match the acrylic paints.

I want to use a spray can finish over the acrylic paint because the objects are too detailed to easily brush or wipe on a finish. Should I use clear enamel or clear shellac instead of the Krylon?

RE: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - jteneyck - 10-04-2018

(10-03-2018, 09:27 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Will cured Arm-R-Seal urethane react with cured Krylon 1303 clear acrylic finish. Krylon is a solvent based (lacquer, I think) acrylic finish.

I have a project involving a number of objects painted with acrylics paints. The objects will be stored in a box finished with a gel stain and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I was going to use the acrylic Krylon 1303 to match the acrylic paints.

I want to use a spray can finish over the acrylic paint because the objects are too detailed to easily brush or wipe on a finish. Should I use clear enamel or clear shellac instead of the Krylon?

I have no direct knowledge, but I don't think there will be any reaction as long as both finishes are cured.  

John

RE: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - wood2woodknot - 10-05-2018

John,

My apologies. I sent a reply to you yesterday (or thought I did) but must have screwed it up because I don't see it anywhere.

Your reply confirms my own suspicions. I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

RE: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - jteneyck - 10-06-2018

(10-05-2018, 10:18 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: John,

My apologies. I sent a reply to you yesterday (or thought I did) but must have screwed it up because I don't see it anywhere.

Your reply confirms my own suspicions.  I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

No apology necessary.  

I hope my thoughts this time are correct.   

John

RE: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - Cooler - 10-08-2018

You could put down a coat of Sealcoat between finishes.  Sealcoat seems to adhere to all finishes and all finishes seem to adhere to Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac).

RE: Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes? - wood2woodknot - 10-12-2018

(10-05-2018, 10:18 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: John,

Your reply confirms my own suspicions.  I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

John,

Thanks again. Coming down to the bitter end. Just some final spot finishing over gold tone on two pieces. So far so good. Breathing easy now.

-Al (wood2woodknot)