Woodnet Forums
Lathe ID help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lathe ID help (/showthread.php?tid=7343467)

Lathe ID help - hairy - 10-06-2018

Yard sale find. The owner was a jeweler. This sat for many years. ID badge painted, suggestions appreciated. Motor, drive pulleys and flat rubber belt included. 1 speed only.Motor has wires hanging out, haven't tried to run yet. Lots of cast iron, very heavy.

Has a chuck, small face plate, some kind of dog, and a tapered shaft. Dead centers on headstock and tailstock, oil cups for centers and drive . Tool rest and banjo included.

Everything is freed up, no binding,no slop, should operate well.

36" bed length overall. 21" between centers. 8 and 1/2" swing over bed.

1 and 1/8" x 12 TPI spindle.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!!

RE: Lathe ID help - Arlin Eastman - 10-06-2018

Hairy

I have been checking up on Lapidary work since I am going to start doing it in a small way.  There were used to polish precious and semi precious stones.  They did not need variable speed since there were 3 different polishing wheels and different grits up to 10,000 grit with a very fine past.

Sorry to say I do not know about the lathe but how it works for the jewelers.

RE: Lathe ID help - hairy - 10-06-2018

(10-06-2018, 02:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Hairy

I have been checking up on Lapidary work since I am going to start doing it in a small way.  There were used to polish precious and semi precious stones.  They did not need variable speed since there were 3 different polishing wheels and different grits up to 10,000 grit with a very fine past.

Sorry to say I do not know about the lathe but how it works for the jewelers.

Thanks Arlin! I tried the motor, it needs work. It just hums loudly until I spin the shaft. It runs fine after that. I'm thinking of going with a treadmill motor. Any advice on going that route is greatly appreciated.

There were 2 mandrels used for sizing rings in the garage where I got this. The tapered shaft on the lathe is very similar to those in size , length and taper. It is made to fit the dead centers.

RE: Lathe ID help - FrankAtl - 10-07-2018

(10-06-2018, 05:57 PM)hairy Wrote: Thanks Arlin! I tried the motor, it needs work. It just hums loudly until I spin the shaft. It runs fine after that. I'm thinking of going with a treadmill motor. Any advice on going that route is greatly appreciated.

There were 2 mandrels used for sizing rings in the garage where I got this. The tapered shaft on the lathe is very similar to those in size , length and taper. It is made to fit the dead centers.

Sounds like a starting capacitor. Should be easy enough to fix.

RE: Lathe ID help - hairy - 10-07-2018

(10-07-2018, 08:53 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Sounds like a starting capacitor. Should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks! That could be the problem. Treadmill motor will make it variable speed instead of only 1 speed.

RE: Lathe ID help - hairy - 10-08-2018

(10-06-2018, 10:38 AM)hairy Wrote: 1 and 1/8" x 12 TPI spindle.
Might be 1" x 12TPI, I can't tell.
Part of the mystery is solved. All I did was spray carburetor cleaner on it.

RE: Lathe ID help - Grey Mountain - 10-09-2018

vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=609&tab=4 F

This is a link to Oliver Machinery. May help identify the lathe.

G M

RE: Lathe ID help - hairy - 10-09-2018

(10-09-2018, 02:20 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=609&tab=4 F

This is a link to Oliver Machinery.  May help identify the lathe.

G M

Thanks! You don't have a few of these in your herd?

RE: Lathe ID help - Grey Mountain - 10-09-2018

No, seem to have missed this one...

RE: Lathe ID help - Wildwood - 10-09-2018

Here is some info not sure will help much,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/wwoliver/

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1319