Woodnet Forums
A scrap pallet annoyed me - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A scrap pallet annoyed me (/showthread.php?tid=7343505)

A scrap pallet annoyed me - SceneryMaker - 10-07-2018

so I cut some of it into little pieces.

Then, just for fun, I glued them back together and rubbed on them with a bowl gouge. This was the result.

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - iclark - 10-07-2018

very
Cool
Cool 

I really love that grain pattern.

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - chips ahoy - 10-08-2018

Wow,beautiful job,congrats.

Mel

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - Woodshop - 10-08-2018

Nice work, about how big is it?

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - SceneryMaker - 10-08-2018

It's 12" tall by 10" dia and holds a 2" dia by 7" glass insert for fresh flowers.

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - Arlin Eastman - 10-08-2018

(10-07-2018, 10:05 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: so I cut some of it into little pieces.

Then, just for fun, I glued them back together and rubbed on them with a bowl gouge.  This was the result.

That is great looking and well worth the time and effort of "scrap wood" can be.

looks like Elm or maybe Red Oak but it is just nice.
Looks like you need to be looking for more pallet wood.
Yes

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - SceneryMaker - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 03:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looks like you need to be looking for more pallet wood.
Yes

Consider this: about 4 hours of work got that pallet hauled home and cut down to the good sticks, eliminating the cracks, corroded nail holes, splits, and staples that broke off instead of pulling out. I netted about 10 board feet of damp red oak that I could buy from my local source for about $25, kiln dried. I earned $6.25/hr but still worried that I missed an expensive nail. In this case it was worth it to me because the pallet was from a local charitable organization I'm involved with and the vase will be donated back to them.

Most of that pallet will be best used to roast marshmallows with my grandkids and that will be worth it too.

Salvaging pallets is a lot of work, though. I'd rather be making shavings...…… or even sanding.

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - badwhiskey - 10-08-2018

Very nice!

(extra characters to comply with 17 character minimum)

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - Stwood_ - 10-13-2018

Cool  Nice looking oak vase you got there

RE: A scrap pallet annoyed me - Big Dave - 10-17-2018

(10-08-2018, 03:52 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Consider this: about 4 hours of work got that pallet hauled home and cut down to the good sticks, eliminating the cracks, corroded nail holes, splits, and staples that broke off instead of pulling out.  I netted about 10 board feet of damp red oak that I could buy from my local source for about $25, kiln dried.  I earned $6.25/hr but still worried that I missed an expensive nail.  In this case it was worth it to me because the pallet was from a local charitable organization I'm involved with and the vase will be donated back to them.

Most of that pallet will be best used to roast marshmallows with my grandkids and that will be worth it too.

Salvaging pallets is a lot of work, though.  I'd rather be making shavings...…… or even sanding.

I bring pallets home from work to burn in my shop stove. Occasionally I'll find one made from hardwood that is salvageable for projects, but most of it is twisted and split. I've made a couple small projects, but nothing quite like that vase - which is beautiful!

Well done!
Yes

Dave