Woodnet Forums
Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw (/showthread.php?tid=7343609)

Pages: 1 2

Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - 5thumbs - 10-12-2018

As my earlier thread noted, I just bought a 10" Grizzly G0zz1Z  Table Saw. [attachment=13636]

It came with a combination blade that is OK for construction lumber, but I was something better for furniture.

I plan to buy a dado set but I also want a finish blade for hardwoods as well as a good rip blade for hardwoods.  Can anybody make some recommendations as to brands that give good quality cuts?  I've looked at the literature from various manufacturers and they're all "wonderful" - but I'd like to know what the folks on here would buy for themselves.

thanks in advance
Big Grin

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Cooler - 10-12-2018

I started a thread on the Freud 40 tooth combination blade.  I remain happy with it for both cross cuts, rips and especially plywood.

Note:  When ripping green pressure treated lumber the cuts would close up and bind on the blade.  I don't know if this is an issue with the blade or the wood.  I had to drive wedges in the stock to continue the cuts.  

Other than that it has been stellar.  

See:  https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7338088&highlight=freud

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Bill Wilson - 10-12-2018

I've been very satisfied with my Freud blades, on the TS, CMS and RAS.  I think they are a pretty good value.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Admiral - 10-12-2018

I bought a Freud dado set a long time ago, and its been just peachy. As far as blades, Forrest or Ridge Carbide have been the best for me, both highly recommended. I'm local, in NJ, so their resharpening service works for me as well.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - cputnam - 10-16-2018

I used a 30 tooth Freud ripper for 4/4 stock and was very pleased with cut quality. Take a look at their 80 (?) tooth XCut blade. The 96 tooth model for my 12" miter saw produces a finish that rivals the edge from a shooting board. For general ripping, stay with a 24 tooth, inexpensive blade. For all-purpose work (too lazy to change blades frequently) the Freud 50 tooth combination blade did yeoman work for me.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Wild Turkey - 10-17-2018

There's a guy that posts here on WN that sells top of the line sawblades. I've bought a blade and a dado set and found both to be superior to Freud. "CRS" has struck and I can't remember his name but maybe someone will come up with it.

I've also found a "Hi-ATB" blade to be an excellent choice for plywood, etc. The higher points cut the fibers cleanly and leave a very good edge.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - handi - 10-17-2018

There are better blades than Freud, but dollar for dollar, they are my choice of best bang for the buck.

Every table saw should have three blades, a rip, a crosscut, and a plywood/melamine.
Freud is currently offering a pack of those three blades. I have seen it at Woodcraft, might be elsewhere too.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - 5thumbs - 10-18-2018

(10-17-2018, 09:02 PM)handi Wrote: There are better blades than Freud, but dollar for dollar, they are my choice of best bang for the buck.

Every table saw should have three blades, a rip, a crosscut, and a plywood/melamine.
Freud is currently offering a pack of those three blades. I have seen it at Woodcraft, might be elsewhere too.

Thanks! I'll be near Woodcraft today and look for that package.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - Cooler - 10-18-2018

(10-18-2018, 06:43 AM)5thumbs Wrote: Thanks! I'll be near Woodcraft today and look for that package.
I have two rip blades and two cross cut blades and one negative hook angle fine tooth blade for melamine.  But the Freud seems to cut better at each of these tasks than the others.  

The only drawback is that the Freud feeds slower in rip than my dedicated rip blade.

RE: Need Advice on blades for my New Grizzly Table Saw - kurt18947 - 10-19-2018

(10-17-2018, 01:36 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: There's a guy that posts here on WN that sells top of the line sawblades.  I've bought a blade and a dado set and found both to be superior to Freud.  "CRS" has struck and I can't remember his name but maybe someone will come up with it.

I've also found a "Hi-ATB" blade to be an excellent choice for plywood, etc.  The higher points cut the fibers cleanly and leave a very good edge.
Is the guy you're thinking about Brian? He used to offer a 10% discount to Woodnet members. I don't know if he still does that or not.

https://www.holbren.com/table-saw-blades/