Woodnet Forums
Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wood vanity counter and backsplash (/showthread.php?tid=7343644)

Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Gary G™ - 10-13-2018

Let’s say you’re installing a new wood vanity countertop and wood backsplash.
How would you attach the backsplash to the wall?
How much gap would you leave between the two? 1/8”?

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - museumguy - 10-13-2018

I'm assuming both pieces have the grain running in the same direction. If so, can you pocket screw the splash from the back, with silicone between the 2 before screwing them together.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Stwood_ - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 06:54 PM)museumguy Wrote: I'm assuming both pieces have the grain running in the same direction. If so, can you pocket screw the splash from the back, with silicone between the 2 before screwing them together.

10-4 on that.

Or, I've used straight silicone caulk and stuck the splash right to the sheetrock.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Gary G™ - 10-14-2018

The vanity is in a corner so the long backsplash runs with the countertop; the side doesn’t.
36” X 24” top

Momma also hasn’t decided how she wants the profiles of top and backsplash to meet.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Stwood_ - 10-14-2018

You want me to call Her up and get things in gear? That way you can get off the couch and get something constructive done...................

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Cooler - 10-15-2018

I added a wood back splash to my butcher block counter top.  

I used 3/4" by 6" maple.  

I ran the maple through the table saw with the material vertical and took an 1/8" x 1½ slice off one side.  This allowed me to bank that edge for alignment and I screwed in from behind.

In retrospect, the 1/8" ledge was unnecessary.  I should have glued and pinned it with my 18 gauge pinner and then added screws from behind.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Gary G™ - 10-16-2018

Momma has decided she wants two sides and a back like an old-time washstand.
The back will have a large ogee style center and probably be about 12” at its peak. Similarly shaped to a bell dome yet not as sharp.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Stwood_ - 10-17-2018

Ok. Rusted barn tin for panels

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - Gary G™ - 10-18-2018

Laugh
No.
It’s going to be Florida Camphor.
The top is already built; just have the backsplash to make.

RE: Wood vanity counter and backsplash - mike4244 - 10-18-2018

(10-13-2018, 06:27 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Let’s say you’re installing a new wood vanity countertop and wood backsplash.
How would you attach the backsplash to the wall?
How much gap would you leave between the two? 1/8”?

Smart clips. Do a search for them. I used them exclusively when I was working. No gap needed, works well .
mike