Woodnet Forums
Question about a Rust Find Today - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Question about a Rust Find Today (/showthread.php?tid=7344578)

Question about a Rust Find Today - Strokes77 - 11-24-2018

I stumbled across something today, not necessarily woodworking, but I need you guys' help.  I know you can at least point me in the right direction.

In the drawers of a very nice Kennedy 520 tool chest I picked up today, I found literally Hundreds of Vintage Made in USA drills.

I'm curious if someone can tell me what I have, and who I might look for to pass them on to?  I'm assuming they are of most likely to be used by a machinist?  Are they a novelty, a collectible, or are they to be used?

Thanks.

[Image: 00m0m_cVAR2SBDagR_1200x900.jpg]

[Image: 00000_7aEdAV0sr57_1200x900.jpg]

[Image: 00w0w_7UPLmrKWI46_1200x900.jpg]

RE: Question about a Rust Find Today - Brent V. - 11-25-2018

I have no idea about whether those drills have any collectible value. But that's a valuable find. Those are machinist bits. The number sizes can be crossed to dimensions by googling for "standard drill sizes". Personally, I would use them. I would buy a metal bit holder and fill it and put it beside my drill press.

RE: Question about a Rust Find Today - enjuneer - 11-25-2018

(11-24-2018, 09:57 PM)Strokes77 Wrote:  I'm assuming they are of most likely to be used by a machinist?  

Yes, from what I can see, they are mostly number-sized drills that would be used by a machinist for drilling in metals. If in good condition, these vintage US-made bits are far better than nearly anything that can be purchased today. There are still a few US companies making drill bits, but they can be hard to find since they market mainly to industry.

In my day job, I manage a student machine shop at a university where we teach engineering students how to produce drawings and make parts. If you are interested in selling these, I'd be interested in purchasing at least a portion of them.

Please PM me. I'd like to see a few more photos and will provide you with an email address.

Thanks.

RE: Question about a Rust Find Today - daddo - 11-25-2018

Wow- I'd keep them if you'd use them, if not, they need to find a good home where they would be used. Those are probably good bits.
There are plenty of bits made today that are just as good or better, but they cost and can't be found at the box stores.

The Chicago Latrobe is still made and sold today. They are expensive bits. The average cost of one bit (example #13) would be 25 bucks.

The Standard tool bits are average bits but good quality.

RE: Question about a Rust Find Today - Strokes77 - 11-25-2018

I will never use these. They were rescued to be sold to a worthy owner.

RE: Question about a Rust Find Today - MarkSingleton - 11-25-2018

That's quite a haul you got there.
Quality bits command good prices.
As do Kennedy tool chests.

Wadja havta pay?
Gloatworthy or no?