Woodnet Forums
Can't help myself - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Can't help myself (/showthread.php?tid=7344605)

Pages: 1 2

Can't help myself - DaveParkis - 11-26-2018

I have tried to stop buying tools. My shop is so full of "stuff" that I can't do any woodworking, but I can't resist a sale/auction with nice tools. So I thought I would share pics of what I picked up recently. First up is a Record 52 1/2 vise. Really nice shape.
[Image: OgGmPZrm.jpg][Image: 59bMGB2m.jpg][Image: 9NDJBwOm.jpg]
A few saws
[Image: MiKAvpJm.jpg][Image: gwgecQxm.jpg][Image: WCEkbG6m.jpg]
Some things that aren't hand tool related
[Image: vxxu0IRm.jpg][Image: KSNEOXQm.jpg][Image: u0t4lk7m.jpg]
A nice Beall threading kit
[Image: yedsDV5m.jpg]
And last, but certainly not least, a couple more saws.
[Image: 4Qjej0Cm.jpg][Image: DKX7dhmm.jpg]

I'm hopng there aren't any more sales in my area for a while.
Smirk

RE: Can't help myself - EricU - 11-26-2018

I couldn't help myself either, that's why I don't go.  Are you listing any of this in the SnS?

RE: Can't help myself - DaveParkis - 11-26-2018

Everything but the Record vise. That is just too heavy to ship. PM me if you're interested in something.

RE: Can't help myself - Stwood_ - 11-26-2018

Dave, put your spare change into a storefront and start selling tools.........say on a Friday and Saturday.
You could also buy from walk-ins.

RE: Can't help myself - Bibliophile 13 - 11-26-2018

Independence dovetail saws?!? You suck big time!

RE: Can't help myself - DaveLeard - 11-29-2018

Yes, I thought I was a tool collector but it turns out I was just a hoarder.

You know you've made it when you would rather spend your time in the shop than out roaming auctions and flea markets. After all, you can always kick back and shop eBay when you're too tired to be in the shop or out at the flea market :-)

RE: Can't help myself - Handplanesandmore - 11-29-2018

You are not alone as hoarders are common among woodworkers and older folks. I know because I used to shop for tools in garage sales and couldn't believe the multiples of the same kind of tools people kept. For the record, I am no hoarder and have not got 4 drill presses, 6 routers or 7 dovetail saws. I do have 4 cordless drills, 1 for use in the house.

Simon

RE: Can't help myself - EricU - 11-29-2018

I know I have hoarding tendencies. I'm trying to just buy something when I actually need it, because I am tired of bumping into stuff

RE: Can't help myself - Stwood_ - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 05:30 PM)EricU Wrote: I know I have hoarding tendencies. I'm trying to just buy something when I actually need it, because I am tired of bumping into stuff

10-4 on that. I'm actually getting rid of some stuff. I can't use it all anymore.

RE: Can't help myself - DaveParkis - 11-29-2018

I am trying to clean stuff out, too. Someday I'll be able to do some actual work. We have discussed getting a small storefront, but between the cost of the storefront and the bureaucracy we would need to deal with, it just ain't worth it