Woodnet Forums
386 knob? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 386 knob? (/showthread.php?tid=7344867)

386 knob? - jasfrank - 12-06-2018

I was considering buying a Stanley 386 jointer fence from a friend, but its missing the knob and the knob screw.  Is anyone familiar enough with the Stanley lineup to know if a knob from any certain plane can be used for a replacement on a 386 fence? Also isn't the screw a one piece rather than 2 piece affair? More like the handyman line of planes had?

RE: 386 knob? - Timberwolf - 12-07-2018

(12-06-2018, 11:39 PM)jasfrank Wrote: I was considering buying a Stanley 386 jointer fence from a friend, but its missing the knob and the knob screw.  Is anyone familiar enough with the Stanley lineup to know if a knob from any certain plane can be used for a replacement on a 386 fence? Also isn't the screw a one piece rather than 2 piece affair? More like the handyman line of planes had?
Stanley used non-standard threads...you wont be able to "interchange" between any manufacturers that I know of......
.......You "may" be able to buy the parts you need from Chuck Hegedus ...He has a ton of Stanley parts........
his email adr is toolfool@mindspring.com

RE: 386 knob? - jasfrank - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 10:32 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
Stanley used non-standard threads...you wont be able to "interchange" between any manufacturers that I know of......
.......You "may" be able to buy the parts you need from Chuck Hegedus ...He has a ton of Stanley parts........
his email adr is    toolfool@mindspring.com

Thank you for the lead and your help Jack. I will send Chuck an email.

Maybe I didn't phrase that right in my OP but I was wondering what plane numbers Stanley had that might have the same knob and screw. I wasn't really referring to other manufacturers although if they worked, thats good too.

RE: 386 knob? - Timberwolf - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 11:22 AM)jasfrank Wrote: Thank you for the lead and your help Jack. I will send Chuck an email.

Maybe I didn't phrase that right in my OP but I was wondering what plane numbers Stanley had that might have the same knob and screw. I wasn't really referring to other manufacturers although if they worked, thats good too.

Winkgrin Chuck knows Stanley as well { or better } as anybody I know of and his truck is always stocked to the gills at every tool meet we attend. He has parts from other manufacturers also. Good luck..

RE: 386 knob? - bandit571 - 12-07-2018

might look at a stanley 82....

RE: 386 knob? - jasfrank - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 01:01 PM)bandit571 Wrote: might look at a stanley 82....
I think the 386 knob was a taller knob, but then you may be right. Thanks Bandit