Woodnet Forums
Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... (/showthread.php?tid=7344900)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... - Big Dave - 12-08-2018

Hi, guys

I'm working from the WOOD Mag plans for a set of TV trays. I'm at the point where I was assembling them before the glue up and I've run into a bit of a problem. They seem a little short. Overall height from floor to top is only about 25".

Does anyone here have a set of TV trays where they could grab a couple measurements for me? What I'm looking for is the overall height when set up, the length of the legs, and the position of the pivot point from the top of the legs. I'd like to have something to compare them to before I do the final glue-up....

Thanks, Guys!
Big Grin 
Dave

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - fredhargis - 12-08-2018

We have some I made that get daily use. The top is 24.5" from the floor, the legs are 26.5" long, and the pivot point is 15" from the bottom of the legs. Works very well for us. I think the plan I used was from Wood, but I made them so many years ago I can't remember.

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - BobW - 12-08-2018

I have a nicer store-bought set that I bought quite a few years ago.

Top from floor:  27-1/2"
Legs:  29"
Pivot from top:  14"

I also have a couple of cheaper ones that are smaller and not as tall...I don't like using them as much.

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - KC - 12-08-2018

I use a cheap metal lap tray with some cartoon design on it because it works in the recliner.  Many times I've felt poorly about not making some 'good ones'.  
Blush
Shy

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - Big Dave - 12-08-2018

Thanks, guys!
Yes 

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two, so now it looks like I need to decide if I want to make new legs...
Smirk 

Thanks again!
Dave

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - TDKPE - 12-09-2018

We have these, in natural, with the stand.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/solid-wood-folding-snack-table/3265646?skuId=10178916&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3253336717&rkg_id=0&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_furniture_local&product_id=10178916&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=1o2&creative=232742510362&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgvjvuOuS3wIVhUBpCh1Pig58EAQYAiABEgK0u_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

26" high, which is just right.  FYI.

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? - Gary G™ - 12-09-2018

Link to a set I built; made up my own plans:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/24583

They’re about 26-1/2” to the top when open.

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... - Big Dave - 12-09-2018

Thanks again, guys! I decided to go ahead & use the legs I'd made following the plans. Overall height came out to 25", and after bringing them in the house and placing them where they'll be used most, I think they'll be just fine.
Yes  They sure did seem short out in the shop, though...
Smirk
Laugh 

A few pics...

[Image: m0SiEC5.jpg]

[Image: rVFRhDb.jpg]

[Image: xgw5fqm.jpg]

[Image: VvZS4PW.jpg]

[Image: fis5IhM.jpg]

Thanks for lookin'!
Big Grin

And comments & questions are always welcome...
Winkgrin 

Dave

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... - fredhargis - 12-09-2018

Oh, wow! Those are really nice.

RE: Anyone use TV Trays? Pics added... - 2beast - 12-09-2018

Did I spot some sawdust on the floor 
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek

Nice job 
Cool