Woodnet Forums
Puukko knife making in Finland - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Puukko knife making in Finland (/showthread.php?tid=7345026)

Puukko knife making in Finland - Timberwolf - 12-13-2018

start over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs&t=393s

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - DonSlaughter - 12-19-2018

(12-13-2018, 09:07 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: start over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs&t=393s

Fascinating!!  Thanks for posting!!

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - TGW - 12-21-2018

Kauhava is only some 100 kilometres inland from where I live. There is at least some knifemaking going on there to this day.

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - Gary G™ - 12-25-2018

Quite impressive ...

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - Mtobey - 01-02-2019

I applaud Jack's offer of this video. I have owned several knives of the Puukko type. I was actually exposed to the "Scandanavian" knives by Harry Morseth who bought laminated steel bars for his knives. I no longer have those because I gave them to cherished hunting partners. I still have three at this time- a combination field size and caping in a piggyback sheath with hand embellished designs and a Helle "Trofe" model. Were I unrestrained, I would buy up all of the puukko's with original laminated steel I could find. This, from a fellow who has Randall's, Forthofer's and more true customs. I use a (Dozier )early) Master Skinner for Whitetails. It has never needed a stone; just a few strokes on a DMT diamond stick-- even for splitting the sternum. Dozier uses D-2 so Jack will understand. At the least, I would commend any outdoorsman here to go to A.G. Russell ( Mr. Russell passed away last month but there will be no change in quality.) to purchase a knife with life-saving characteristics. In today's world, this is a "need" not just a "want."

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - Mtobey - 01-04-2019

By the way, I learned from harsh response that Finns reject being called or at all included in the term " Scandinavian
'. No reason was given, but I do choose to honor their choice. So, if you are negotiating on anything with a native Finn do not pass on an innocent insult. Ignore your school geography class- avoid what I guess is an insult not quickly forgiven by a Finn.

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - Hank Knight - 01-04-2019

Jack, I wish I'd seen this in July. I was in Helsinki in August and found it uninteresting. Looking for one of these knives would have been fun!

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - TGW - 01-05-2019

(01-04-2019, 11:16 AM)Mtobey Wrote: By the way, I learned from harsh response that Finns reject being called or at all included in the term " Scandinavian
'. No reason was given, but I do choose to honor their choice. So, if you are negotiating on anything with a native Finn do not pass on an innocent insult. Ignore your school geography class- avoid what I guess is an insult not quickly forgiven by a Finn.

Indeed that's the case with the Finns.

We Finland Swedes who have lived on the Finnish coast since prehistoric times like to be counted as Scandinavians and many of us wiew it as a bit of an insult if we are called Finns.

RE: Puukko knife making in Finland - Timberwolf - 01-05-2019

(01-04-2019, 06:31 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Jack, I wish I'd seen this in July. I was in Helsinki in August and found it uninteresting. Looking for one of these knives would have been fun!

That would have been a really good score, Hank...
Crazy