Woodnet Forums
80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? (/showthread.php?tid=7345029)

Pages: 1 2

80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - KingwoodFan1989 - 12-13-2018

Well, I ordered my new miter saw yesterday (DeWalt 709)...For those fine cuts, I want to have a blade that is meant for a finish cut rather than just general construction (like the blade it comes with). My brother asked me for a gift idea, so I figured I'd ask for a blade. However, I'm wondering if I should get an 80 tooth or a 96 tooth...DeWalt has one with good reviews for about $54 that's an 80 tooth. Will that be fine enough? My 60 tooth I used on my 10" saw cut pretty darn cleanly, so would an 80 tooth be about the equivalent cut quality for a 12", or should I go with the 96"? Keep in mind I work with a lot of REALLY hard woods (Jatoba, for one), so while I want a sleek cut, I don't want to put too much stress on the motor by having a blade that doesn't have enough cutting power. What would you recommend: an 80 tooth or a 96?

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Handplanesandmore - 12-13-2018

Do you plan to use a zero clearance insert and fence?

If so, a 60 T blade will get you very clean cuts, good enough for any furniture making. But if you insist, 80 T would be more than good enough. I have never had issues with my 60 T blade, cutting mostly hardwood. I thought 96T TCG blades are mostly for plastic, etc.

Simon

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - KingwoodFan1989 - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 11:12 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Do you plan to use a zero clearance insert and fence?

If so, a 60 T blade will get you very clean cuts, good enough for any furniture making. But if you insist, 80 T would be more than good enough. I have never had issues with my 60 T blade, cutting mostly hardwood. I thought 96T TCG blades are mostly for plastic, etc.

Simon

I'll probably end up getting a zero clearance insert sooner than later. Was the 60 tooth you described a 10" or 12"? I used a 60 as my 10" and loved the cut quality it left. I used Amazon prime (which the 709 was eligible to be shipped through), so the saw is scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon sometime. I don't actually know what the number of teeth on the blade that comes with it. I'll check that first before I look at any 60 toothers (just in case one of those comes with the saw). Just to repeat my earlier question, do you think the cut quality on a 12" with 80 teeth would be about the same as that 10" blade with 60 teeth I have (given that they are the same brand or series)? That's generally what I'm looking for.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - fredhargis - 12-14-2018

I'd worry more about hook angle than tooth count. A negative tooth blade like the Freud LU91 will give you a much smoother cut. It also cuts a lot more slowly than a positive hook angle.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Stwood_ - 12-14-2018

I've never went over a 80T blade. Never seen any point using a 96

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Stwood_ - 12-14-2018

After I posted, went back and was chopping some white oak to length, and I noticed the name, tooth count had came up on the miter blade when it stopped. Hitachi, 90 tooth.
First 90 tooth I remember seeing, and not sure where it came from. Most likely a blade my son discarded after it dulled, and the dumpster diver that I am, picked it up and had it sharpened. It's been a decent blade.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Bill Wilson - 12-14-2018

I have a couple 96 tooth Freud blades for my 12" CMS.  Both are currently dull and at the moment I'm using an 80 tooth Dewalt blade that I picked up on sale.  I can't say I notice any appreciable difference.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - Farwood - 12-14-2018

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference, except that the 96 tooth blade may cut slower.   If you cut any really beefy pieces you would be more likely to burn it with the 96 tooth blade.  As mentioned by others, a low or negative hook angle is a good thing to have on a miter saw.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - SteveS - 12-14-2018

For the 12" I'd go with the 96T. I use the 80T on my 10" and wouldn't go lower on the types of woods I cut like African blackwood, which is very dense and also high in silica content and so is hard on the blades.

RE: 80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw? - jteneyck - 12-14-2018

The 60 tooth blade that came on my Bosch 12" miter saw cut great, very smoothly on dense hardwoods, until I did something stupid and killed it.  I put a 96 tooth Freud blade on it thinking it would cut much better.  Wrong.  It burned like crazy on dense hardwoods and was slow cutting most anything.  I bought a 60 tooth Freud blade and have been happy ever since.  My vote is try what comes on the saw first, and don't go over 80 teeth if you are unhappy with the stock blade unless you only cut really thin stuff.  

John