Woodnet Forums
Question on adhesive to use - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Question on adhesive to use (/showthread.php?tid=7345166)

Question on adhesive to use - fptahoe - 12-20-2018

I made two coffee tables for my daughter to go on both sides of her couch.  She bought two 12" X 24" white marble tiles to use on the table tops and I built the rest of the coffee table around it.  I am putting a sheet of 1/4" MDF directly under the tile, which I will attach to the table frame with Titebond glue.  My question is what adhesive to use between the MDF and the tile?  I planned on using epoxy, but would be interested to know if there is a better adhesive for this application.  Thank you as always...FPT.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - ez-duzit - 12-20-2018

I would use 3M 5200.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - Cooler - 12-21-2018

I would use E6000, a styrene based adhesive that bonds both smooth and porous materials.  It resembles silicone adhesive on steroids.  It remains flexible but has far more holding power than silicone adhesive.  

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000/

Lowes and Michael's Hobby both carry this as does Amazon.com.  

Use with ventilation. It has a strong odor and is probably not healthy to breath in while curing.  If you are going to do a lot of work with E6000, then wear gloves.  For occasional use, just use with ventilation.  

Once cured it is very strong, and no odor.  Clear and remains flexible.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - jteneyck - 12-21-2018

Epoxy will certainly work, but I like Loctite Polyseamseal because it cleans up with water, and it works.  PL Adhesive works great, too, but it's not water cleanup.  

John

RE: Question on adhesive to use - Cooler - 12-21-2018

I suspect that the weight of the tile is almost enough to keep it in place.  Indeed I might be tempted to use double faced tape so I could change out the tiles at a later date to give it a new look.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - Stwood_ - 12-21-2018

Just get a tube of pure silicone caulk for your caulking gun. About 6-8 bucks at the hardware store.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - fredhargis - 12-22-2018

(12-21-2018, 09:38 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Just get a tube of pure silicone caulk for your caulking gun. About 6-8 bucks at the hardware store.

That would be my suggestion as well...almost anything will work, you/re not looking for a wood-to-wood type bond, just something to secure it in place.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - fptahoe - 12-22-2018

Great recommendations - thank you all!  FPT

RE: Question on adhesive to use - Gary G™ - 12-22-2018

I’m a LEXEL user. Bonds almost anything and is waterproof.

RE: Question on adhesive to use - rschissler - 12-22-2018

I would just use latex caulk or construction adhesive.  It doesn't need to be waterproof, and doesn't require anything stronger.