Woodnet Forums
Cutting big slab - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cutting big slab (/showthread.php?tid=7345473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cutting big slab - OneStaple - 01-05-2019

Hey all,

I should be getting my grandpa's desk (from his estate) in about a month, which I plan on turning into a dining room table. It's a beautiful bookmatched live-edge slab of walnut, roughly 11' x 3'-4' x 3". The base is hideous and poorly done, so I'll redo that. The slab has always been warped/twisted and the glue line wasn't well done (1/8" in some spots). I plan to separate the halves, flatten each side, clean up the glue edges, put it back together, and build a new base.

Now the question is how to move it. At that size, it should be 300+ pounds. That's not a problem when I pick it up, but it's too much for me (and my wife) to handle once it's home, especially since it'll live in the basement for a while before I move it to the shop to work on.

My thought is to cut down the glue line before I load it and bring it home. Given the size, live edge, and warp, a table saw isn't an option in my opinion. And a standard circular saw can't cut through that thickness. What would be a good way to cut down the length on a slab this size? Remember, the cut is through 3"+ of thickness. And I'd like to minimize the kerf, if possible. The best I've thought of is a hand-held jigsaw against a straight edge, if I can get one with a blade that's long enough.

Thanks,
Tyler

RE: Cutting big slab - Bob10 - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 03:12 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I should be getting my grandpa's desk (from his estate) in about a month, which I plan on turning into a dining room table.  It's a beautiful bookmatched live-edge slab of walnut, roughly 11' x 3'-4' x 3".  The base is hideous and poorly done, so I'll redo that.  The slab has always been warped/twisted and the glue line wasn't well done (1/8" in some spots).  I plan to separate the halves, flatten each side, clean up the glue edges, put it back together, and build a new base.

Now the question is how to move it.  At that size, it should be 300+ pounds.  That's not a problem when I pick it up, but it's too much for me (and my wife) to handle once it's home, especially since it'll live in the basement for a while before I move it to the shop to work on.

My thought is to cut down the glue line before I load it and bring it home.  Given the size, live edge, and warp, a table saw isn't an option in my opinion.  And a standard circular saw can't cut through that thickness.  What would be a good way to cut down the length on a slab this size?  Remember, the cut is through 3"+ of thickness.  And I'd like to minimize the kerf, if possible.  The best I've thought of is a hand-held jigsaw against a straight edge, if I can get one with a blade that's long enough.

Thanks,
Tyler

Rent a saw from HD

RE: Cutting big slab - Wild Turkey - 01-05-2019

I'd use a circular saw with straight-edge guide cutting it's max depth, then a jigsaw with a long blade to cut what's left.

Depending on how deep your saw can cut you might even be able to finish the cut with a hand saw.
Laugh

RE: Cutting big slab - ez-duzit - 01-05-2019

A jigsaw would be one of the worst tools to use as it will wander considerably, vertically.

Use a large circular saw and straightedge.

RE: Cutting big slab - AHill - 01-05-2019

Two options:

Borrow or rent a chain saw.
Japanese kataba saw or hand saw (will take awhile).  Just snap a line and go for it.  You can get a hand saw relatively cheap from a big box store, and they cut pretty quick (quicker than any of my vintage hand saws).

You can move the two parts relatively easy with a hand truck or furniture dolly.

RE: Cutting big slab - Bob10 - 01-05-2019

Renting a Bigfoot Circular saw is the easiest if you can't borrow one or justify buying one.  I have a 16.5" Makita that cuts 6x6 fence posts like they are 2x material but most will never need that type saw

Edit to add if you live in an area with a decent Craigslist you might consider buying a saw large enough for the task and reselling when done

RE: Cutting big slab - AUswimKC - 01-05-2019

Yes. Get a big saw. Rent or buy and resell. If you cut it right and get both sides the whole way you’ll be able to glue it back together easily with a nice glue line. Then flatten the top only with a router sled. Your joint will be perfect.

RE: Cutting big slab - jasfrank - 01-05-2019

Makita makes a 16-5/16 circular saw. Perhaps a rental center has one to rent out? Otherwise they are about 800 new or can be found used for less.

RE: Cutting big slab - dg152 - 01-05-2019

I like the idea of renting, borrowing or stealing a large circular saw best. One cut - all done.

If you don't have access to a larger circular saw use your circular saw and cut to the maximum depth using a straight edge. Then flip the table top and, using a straight edge make the second cut at a depth to meet the first cut.

Yeah, it'll take a little more time and messing around but should get the job done.

RE: Cutting big slab - EdL - 01-05-2019

Milwaukee makes a 10 1/4" circ saw that will cut it......

Ed