Woodnet Forums
Marking gauge you can make - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Marking gauge you can make (/showthread.php?tid=7345559)

Marking gauge you can make - Timberwolf - 01-08-2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfBcwZdp48k

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Bill_Houghton - 01-09-2019

Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Admiral - 01-09-2019

I like the knurling solution, never thought of doing that, nice trick.

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Admiral - 01-09-2019

(01-09-2019, 10:23 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?

Its more of the journey, at least it would be for me.

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Arlin Eastman - 01-09-2019

(01-09-2019, 10:39 AM)Admiral Wrote: Its more of the journey, at least it would be for me.

I think the same thing.  Nothing like making your own tools if you can.  Means a lot more to you and IF you make them nice enough to sell a few if others like them.

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Gary G™ - 01-09-2019

Fun video; thanks Jack.

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Timberwolf - 01-10-2019

(01-09-2019, 07:29 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Fun video; thanks Jack.

I thought the "knurling" trick with the file was pretty clever, Gary...Rich picked up on it also....
Winkgrin

And, I'm pretty sure he already had marking gauges, but making his own was a personal "thing"...a "journey" unto itself....
Big Grin

RE: Marking gauge you can make - CedarSlayer - 01-14-2019

(01-09-2019, 10:23 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?

If you watch carefully you will see that his bandsaw is home made. Why would he buy a marking gauge when he can make one.
Smile

RE: Marking gauge you can make - TGW - 01-16-2019

It is a cutting gauge for crossgrain use not just any marking gauge with a pin.
Cutting gauges don't come cheap. All the cheap ones have just a round pin.

By the way I have made a lot of tools myself. Even built some machines. Making what I can make means that I at least stand a chance to afford what I cannot make.

RE: Marking gauge you can make - Timberwolf - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 04:03 AM)TGW Wrote: It is a cutting gauge for crossgrain use not just any marking gauge with a pin.
Cutting gauges don't come cheap. All the cheap ones have just a round pin.

By the way I have made a lot of tools myself. Even built some machines. Making what I can make means that I at least stand a chance to afford what I cannot make.

The "challenge" is not in buying tools...The challenge is in making them..Anybody with money can buy them..
Big Grin