Woodnet Forums
making a leather holster for my block plane- - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: making a leather holster for my block plane- (/showthread.php?tid=7345963)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - mongo - 01-26-2019

Today while I was working I left it in the sun in my truck to try to darken the veg tan leather a little. Purely a vanity thing. Didnt change much so I think i will just let it patina over time. Not sure how the if leather dye can cause galvinic reactions and since I made sure to get veg tan to avoid rust issues as much as possible I will leave it be.

Its kind of an ugly duckling but I can hold it upside down and the plane doest fall out so its an A on function.

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - mongo - 01-26-2019

Things I will do different next time I try something like this. 

Either get a proper modeling tool to help form the leather, Or get some foam for shaping kydex and see how well that works for even pressure on the item.

I will probably rivet the top of the stitches.  Didn't have the rivets I wanted and I figured I wasn't sure if I needed them.  I think it would be a little better with but only time will tell.

I wanted to be able to take things apart if I wanted to use the leather form on a different mount or sheath. But I think I would end up redoing it anyway so next time I will glue as well as sew things together.

Thanks for looking!

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - Stwood_ - 01-26-2019

Whats your next leather project?

RE: making a leatherster for my block plane- - mongo - 01-27-2019

(01-26-2019, 09:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Whats your next leather project?

Need to make some more covers for holdfast/ Veritas holddown.

I have a framing hatchet that I inherited that needs a sheath and a new handle.  Have a boys axe that needs the same.

Want to try making some chisel covers.

tool roll or two.

want to try making a pouch that holds a few tools to keep on me in the shop- still designing decideding what I want here...  something that holds a chisel a marking knife a pencil and maybe a square.  dont know.

When I am getting comfortable I am going to try a leather apron that fits my broad shoulders and no neck. 

Lots to do.... making some wood projects as well.  Since I am still learning I will most likely start with the smaller stuff.

Any interest in me posting more of of this as I learn?

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - MarkSingleton - 01-27-2019

Interest, yes, I am. Have done very little leather work, but it has
always been an interest. Post away!!

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - Stwood_ - 01-27-2019

Yes. Very interested.

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - Baumholder - 01-29-2019

(01-26-2019, 09:04 PM)mongo Wrote: Today while I was working I left it in the sun in my truck to try to darken the veg tan leather a little.  Purely a vanity thing.  Didnt change much so I think i will just let it patina over time.  Not sure how the if leather dye can cause galvinic reactions and since I made sure to get veg tan to avoid rust issues as much as possible I will leave it be.

Its kind of an ugly duckling but I can hold it upside down and the plane doest fall out so its an A on function.

I used Ballistol on my (purchased) leather sheath for garden shears and it seemed to work well.  Also darkened the leather to a nice color.  Good work! 

https://ballistol.com/uses/leather-care/

Michael

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - Mike Brady - 01-29-2019

Draw knife covers are a good project with leather.

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - FireWood - 01-29-2019

Very cool little project - I've dabbled a bit with leather myself and find it really enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing!

RE: making a leather holster for my block plane- - FireWood - 01-29-2019

(01-25-2019, 12:10 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Texas Heritage

Jason makes some great ones here.  I also have his aprons and saddlebags.

Wow, great site.  That one is going to cost me!  
Crazy