Woodnet Forums
Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives (/showthread.php?tid=7346037)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - ajkoontz - 01-31-2019

Thanks for all the responses. One issue I didn't think to bring up is to ask how many sharpenings you can expect to get out of a set of knives? I can't honestly remember how many times I've had each particular set sharpened. I'm guessing 3-4 sharpenings and it probably makes sense to retire the old knives after that? I agree that the steel makes a difference. I've got an Italian set from Freud that seems to last longer than my other sets.

I'll also add, Holbren has become my go-to for buying new. Their price on a new set of 6" knives would be hard to beat. Based on my past experience, and what others have said, they sell quality items at a fair price. I recently bought a Byrd head for my planer from them and couldn't be happier. I will also add that I would just switch to a Byrd head for my jointer, but I'm holding out until I buy an 8" jointer and will get the Byrd on my 'forever jointer'.

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - Strokes77 - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 10:44 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: ...but I'm holding out until I buy an 8" jointer and will get the Byrd on my 'forever jointer'.

LOL...

"forever jointer" is a myth...

Rolleyes

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - brianwelch - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 11:10 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: LOL...

Rolleyes

Doesn't have to last forever...in my case, just longer than me
Smile

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 01-31-2019

(He's referencing that "forever" just lasts until we find something bigger and in our budget.)

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - ajkoontz - 01-31-2019

(01-31-2019, 11:10 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: LOL...

Rolleyes

Yeah I wrote that kind of tongue in cheek, but anything bigger than 8" won't fit in my shop...... Hey, now that you mention it maybe I should build my 'forever shop' before I buy my 'forever jointer'.

RE: Sharpening vs Buying New Knives - Stwood_ - 01-31-2019

Number of sharpenings depends on how deep the nicks are, how many times you nick them
Uhoh , and who sharpens them.

I have some original 20" griz blades (3 sets actually) that are probably nearing 10 sharpening's each.