Woodnet Forums
What happened to Hall's Sharpening Stones? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What happened to Hall's Sharpening Stones? (/showthread.php?tid=7346412)

What happened to Hall's Sharpening Stones? - Aram - 02-13-2019

Did they go out of business? Change names? Get bought out?

RE: What happened to Hall's Sharpening Stones? - Hank Knight - 02-13-2019

Aram, I don't know the answer to your question, but I can speculate. Hall's was a very small operation. I ordered a translucent Arkansas stone from them several years ago. When I called I spoke to Mr. Hall. He didn't have a standard sized translucent stone in stock but he agreed to sell me a nice one that was a bit smaller than standard size. I bought it and he sent it to me. When it arrived, it was far from flat, so I called the company to discuss what to do with the stone. Mr Hall answered the phone and I dealt with him. He told me to send it back and he would flatten it for me. I did and when I received it back, it still wasn't flat. I decided to try and flatten it myself rather than sending it back again. I never dealt or even spoke with anyone other than Mr. Hall. My impression is that it was pretty much a one-man operation, or maybe a mom and pop business. I don't know whether they had the proper equipment to flatten my stone, but it was clear that they did a poor job of it. I speculate they were a jobber type of operation that bought finished stones wholesale and marketed them retail. I don't know that for sure, but it's my belief. In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business.