Woodnet Forums
Delta bandsaw nut removal - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Delta bandsaw nut removal (/showthread.php?tid=7346455)

Delta bandsaw nut removal - Bill Mains - 02-15-2019

28 255 model...bought 1999. Is the nut on bottom wheel turned clockwise or counterclockwise to remove? It's not budging!

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - Bill Mains - 02-15-2019

Ok...nut off..now the wheel won,t slide off shaft. Any suggestions?

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - stav - 02-15-2019

Not familiar with the saw, but you might need a gear puller for that.

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - SceneryMaker - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 08:50 AM)Bill Mains Wrote: Ok...nut off..now the wheel won,t slide off shaft. Any suggestions?

Which way did the nut come off?

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - Alan S - 02-15-2019

If I recall correctly (my bandsaw is almost half a century older) it was an ordinary right hand thread, and I did use a bearing puller to take off the wheel.  Be careful to pull very straight and not damage the wheel.  I think I probably sprayed with penetrating oil, put a little force on with the puller, and let it stand, tapping every so often, and periodically tightening a very small amount.  It usually takes a while, then comes off all of a sudden.  Brute force can damage the wheel.

Nut came off counter clockwise.

Still trying to get wheel off. Don't want to damage wheel...appears to be aluminum.

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - castguy2003 - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 02:28 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Still trying to get wheel off. Don't want to damage wheel...appears to be aluminum.

Use a propane torch to gently heat the wheel hub, not the shaft. Aluminum has a higher expansion rate than steel and this should free it up.

Got it off. Neighbor came over, wedged 2 screw drivers behind wheel, put nut back on but not tight, n hammered shaft while pulling screw drivers outward behind wheel close to shaft. Worked great!

RE: Delta bandsaw nut removal - SceneryMaker - 02-16-2019

(02-15-2019, 05:03 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Got it off. Neighbor came over, wedged 2 screw drivers behind wheel, put nut back on but not tight, n hammered shaft while pulling screw drivers outward behind wheel close to shaft. Worked great!

Like the farmer who asked his car-chasing dog, "Now that you've caught it, what're you gonna do with it?"