Woodnet Forums
HF grinder nut question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: HF grinder nut question (/showthread.php?tid=7346534)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: HF grinder nut question - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 02-19-2019

Sorry about that. Yeah, the 3/4" was the wrench that fits over the nut.

RE: HF grinder nut question - Roly - 02-19-2019

(02-19-2019, 03:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Sorry about that.  Yeah, the 3/4" was the wrench that fits over the nut.

If the 1/2"-13 only went on a couple of turns and jammed try a M12-2.0 nut.   I am betting metric.   Roly

(02-19-2019, 03:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Sorry about that.  Yeah, the 3/4" was the wrench that fits over the nut.

If the 1/2"-13 only went on a couple of turns and jammed try a M12-2.0 nut.   I am betting metric.  ( I know they said 1/2-13 but dont force it on)   Roly

RE: HF grinder nut question - Stwood_ - 02-19-2019

(02-19-2019, 04:49 PM)Roly Wrote: If the 1/2"-13 only went on a couple of turns and jammed try a M12-2.0 nut.   I am betting metric.   Roly

(02-19-2019, 04:51 PM)Roly Wrote: If the 1/2"-13 only went on a couple of turns and jammed try a M12-2.0 nut.   I am betting metric.  ( I know they said 1/2-13 but dont force it on)   Roly

You can say that again.....
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

(02-19-2019, 05:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: You can say that again.....
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Oops, I forgot that I actually posted the first one, thought I was correcting it.  
Crazy   Roly

RE: HF grinder nut question - rednoblue - 02-19-2019

I hope the 1/2-13 nut will work for you.

Thought I would share my HF issue:
I have the HF 6" buffer (yard sale find, works great) and lost both nuts. (must...resist....puns...).

Turns out the right arbor nut is a 1/2-12 nut which is almost impossible to find. But thanks to a great customer service person at grizzly, even though they were discontinued,  found one. -and only one...

The other side is a
1/2-12 reverse thread which is totally impossible to find....anywhere. so even though it is a HF product, it is
not a metric thread.

was told that the 12-pitch thread is an old British standard...still found in some of the machinery 
made in factories influenced by pre-ww2 British engineering/ ....ie-Taiwan.(go figure) HF does NOT have replacements for mine.

Some old British cars used this thread pitch.

The standard 1/2-13 nuts will start but jams up just like a metric would. 
(sorry, this probably has no bearing on your issue but needed to vent)

RE: HF grinder nut question - Roly - 02-20-2019

(02-19-2019, 11:48 PM)rednoblue Wrote: I hope the 1/2-13 nut will work for you.

Thought I would share my HF issue:
I have the HF 6" buffer (yard sale find, works great) and lost both nuts. (must...resist....puns...).

Turns out the right arbor nut is a 1/2-12 nut which is almost impossible to find. But thanks to a great customer service person at grizzly, even though they were discontinued,  found one. -and only one...

The other side is a
1/2-12 reverse thread which is totally impossible to find....anywhere. so even though it is a HF product, it is
not a metric thread.

was told that the 12-pitch thread is an old British standard...still found in some of the machinery 
made in factories influenced by pre-ww2 British engineering/ ....ie-Taiwan.(go figure) HF does NOT have replacements for mine.

Some old British cars used this thread pitch.

The standard 1/2-13 nuts will start but jams up just like a metric would. 
(sorry, this probably has no bearing on your issue but needed to vent)
I think you might have the answer to what it is .  I would not have guessed that.  If neither a 1/2-13 or a M12 2.0 will fit it must be that.    Roly

RE: HF grinder nut question - Timberwolf - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 08:21 AM)Roly Wrote: I think you might have the answer to what it is .  I would not have guessed that.  If neither a 1/2-13 or a M12 2.0 will fit it must be that.    Roly

LIL.............Try counting the threads on the shaft. ...

RE: HF grinder nut question - daddo - 02-20-2019

I needed a nut for the mill and it was an odd ball size, couldn't even find a tap for it. Come to find out it's the same nut that fits an older Ford pickup front end tie rod or arm (don't remember). Had to buy both R and L threaded nuts but they were only 3 bucks.
I spent a long time searching the web. I knew somewhere on Earth it was in a box on a shelf somewhere.

RE: HF grinder nut question - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 02-20-2019

Hmmm.

The tech said it's 1/2-13, but I have a 1/2-13 nut that jams. I'll try to find that metric nut and see it if it works.

If I can't find it...looks like a Rikon slow speed grinder is in the works.