Woodnet Forums
Bent Laminate question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bent Laminate question (/showthread.php?tid=7347236)

Bent Laminate question - jgourlay - 03-22-2019

Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

I need about 2" of "rise" over a 36" run, and the final stack will about 1/2" thick.  What's thickest I can have the plys and make this work?

RE: Bent Laminate question - museumguy - 03-22-2019

I always go with 1/8". Unless it is a tight radius of course.

RE: Bent Laminate question - FrankAtl - 03-22-2019

I always do what musemguy said, 1/8" and have done 3/16" before too. 2" over a 36" radius is not a very tight bend so you should be fine with either of those thicknesses. I also use plastic resin glue on my bent lams which has a little less springback than pva glue IMHO.

RE: Bent Laminate question - AgGEM - 03-22-2019

(03-22-2019, 05:54 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I always do what musemguy said, 1/8" and have done 3/16" before too. 2" over a 36" radius is not a very tight bend so you should be fine with either of those thicknesses. I also use plastic resin glue on my bent lams which has a little less springback than pva glue IMHO.

And gives you time to fuss.

RE: Bent Laminate question - mike4244 - 03-23-2019

(03-22-2019, 04:13 PM)jgourlay Wrote: Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

I need about 2" of "rise" over a 36" run, and the final stack will about 1/2" thick.  What's thickest I can have the plys and make this work?

1/4" should bend easily with a 2" rise. If you soak the whole piece in hot water with a Fabric softener then lamination is not needed. Keep the piece in water til it cools , then bend and clamp around a form. Make the form for a 2-1/4" bend, allows for spring back. Leave in form for 24 hrs. 
mike

RE: Bent Laminate question - jgourlay - 03-24-2019

Thanks Ya'll!  Relieved 1/8" will work:  makes it easy.

RE: Bent Laminate question - museumguy - 03-25-2019

Please let us know how it turns out (pics or it didn't happen)
Laugh

RE: Bent Laminate question - handi - 03-25-2019

(03-22-2019, 04:13 PM)jgourlay Wrote: Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

More, thinner laminates spring back less than fewer, thicker laminates.

I tend to use 1/8” to make it easier to determine the final thickness. 

You will also need to overbend the stack because it will spring back some when removed from the clamps. For 1/8” thick strips with this bend up, overbend by about 3/4” over the desired radius.