Woodnet Forums
next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns (/showthread.php?tid=7347271)

next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - mongo - 03-24-2019

I like the idea of being able to remove the leather if nessisary but here are two experimental designs I will use for a project or two.  one comes off easily enough but should not fall off.  the other would have to be cut off.

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - Bibliophile 13 - 03-25-2019

I like it! I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the leather cover--unless it wore out. But it's a very nice concept. They look better than the pads I glued onto mine, certainly.

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - BpB123 - 03-25-2019

(03-24-2019, 06:23 PM)mongo Wrote: I like the idea of being able to remove the leather if nessisary but here are two experimental designs I will use for a project or two.  one comes off easily enough but should not fall off.  the other would have to be cut off.

I like them too!

One thought on the left side option ...

If you modified it slightly to use 2 zip-ties instead of the last couple stitches, you could make it "removable" and semi permanent
Smile

-Brian

PS:  Thanks for sharing!

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - Philip1231 - 03-25-2019

Reminds me of the tea cozy we use on our proper English tea pot.
Idea: lets call it a "Holdfast Cozy" !!!

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - Stwood_ - 03-25-2019

Nice lookin booties you've made there.
Smile

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - mongo - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 12:25 PM)BpB123 Wrote: I like them too!

One thought on the left side option ...

If you modified it slightly to use 2 zip-ties instead of the last couple stitches, you could make it "removable" and semi permanent
Smile

-Brian

PS:  Thanks for sharing!

Have to think on that, thanks for the suggestion.

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - mongo - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 08:31 AM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I like it!  I'm not sure why you'd need to remove the leather cover--unless it wore out.  But it's a very nice concept.  They look better than the pads I glued onto mine, certainly.

On the occasion I am clamping something dirtier than clean wood I like to have something cleanable. I have 2 sets of gramercy clamps, one with and one without leather pads for this reason. Though perhaps I am just overthinking and engineering this.

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - Bibliophile 13 - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 09:03 PM)mongo Wrote: On the occasion I am clamping something dirtier than clean wood I like to have something cleanable. I have 2 sets of gramercy clamps, one with and one without leather pads for this reason. Though perhaps I am just overthinking and engineering this.

Makes sense.  Nothing wrong with experimenting!  

I do often find that I need to run my hand underneath the pads on my holdfasts to make sure they haven't picked up any chips from the benchtop.  More than once, I've released a holdfast only to find that I've inadvertently used it to dent my workpiece with a big ol' chip.

RE: next set of experiments in leather covers for holdfasts/holddowns - AHill - 03-27-2019

I just adhesively bond a pad to the foot of my holdfasts. Easy to remove and scrape off the residue if it needs to be replaced. I use RTV as an adhesive. Super glue is too hard. It'll bond better if you lightly sand the foot with 220 grit paper prior to attaching the pad.