Woodnet Forums
Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger?? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger?? (/showthread.php?tid=7347283)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger?? - mound - 03-26-2019

(03-25-2019, 01:16 PM)Roly Wrote: That router bit with the 5/8" bearing and 1/2" cutting diameter is for the Porter Cable door hinge template.     Roly

Couldn't help myself, I emailed Freud to ask. They replied that yes, this bit is designed specifically to go with the Porter Cable door hinge set.. Seems odd that they wouldn't label it a bit more clearly!

yes yes, I bought the wrong bit for my template, or made the wrong template for the bit.. All I'm saying was this was completely unexpected..

RE: Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger?? - lift mechanic - 03-26-2019

The router bit is also used for the Hinge-Mate jig made of aluminum. I think the bearing is larger than the cutter to protect the aluminum jig edge.

RE: Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger?? - Handplanesandmore - 03-26-2019

(03-25-2019, 09:51 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: If you listen to the podcast FINE WOODWORKING'S SHOP TALK LIVE #183 (free on iTunes and elsewhere) you'll hear the host, Ben Strano, rant about this very subject.  I don't think the panel of experts  came to a conclusion about why manufacturers offer such a bit.

Such a panel of pseudo experts(!) and rant about something they really were ignorant about.

Simon