Woodnet Forums
Attaching aluminum trim coil...pics added - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Attaching aluminum trim coil...pics added (/showthread.php?tid=7347442)

Pages: 1 2

Attaching aluminum trim coil...pics added - Scott W - 04-01-2019

I know this will sound stupid....but
..I have to ask b/c I don't see any directions. I am trying to bend the aluminum  to trim out a door that a friend/hack ruined for me as a favor. I have been delaying for a while and now I have made a wooden aluminum brake. It does a decent job but how do i attach it? I have some aluminum nails from Lowes. Is that the best way? Especially the inside of the door frame?

I have watched a bunch of YouTube and still cant really see...

Any direction or comment is appreciated.

1. I want to try and bend and tuck into the seal. Am I crazy? Again I have not ever done this .
2. Need to bend
3. Will be needing some kind of edge.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - K. L. McReynolds - 04-01-2019

I'd probably use stainless steel finish screws. Aluminum nails might need a pilot hole, but should work.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Snipe Hunter - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 06:53 PM)Scott W Wrote: I know this will sound stupid....but
..I have to ask b/c I don't see any directions. I am trying to bend the aluminum  to trim out a door that a friend/hack ruined for me as a favor. I have been delaying for a while and now I have made a wooden aluminum brake. It does a decent job but how do i attach it? I have some aluminum nails from Lowes. Is that the best way? Especially the inside of the door frame?

I have watched a bunch of YouTube and still cant really see...

Any direction or comment is appreciated.

You'll find painted trim nails in the hardware isle at the home improvement stores. They're about 1" long and a relatively small head. They're usually white or brown. Don't drive them in too hard, you just want the bottom of the head to touch the trim.

There is usually some by the aluminum trim/siding in the building materials department.

Coated trim nails

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Scott W - 04-01-2019

And just leave them exposed right? That was the only thing I could come up with. LOML didn't seem to think that would look right but I couldn't find pics to tell her otherwise and I never paid any attention before.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - toolmiser - 04-01-2019

I wish there was something better than the aluminum nails. Sometimes here in Wisconsin they just seem to pop out. I think white screws would be better.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Duane N - 04-02-2019

When I did all of my door trim in white PVC coated aluminum I used white aluminum trim nails and just left the heads exposed.  White model paint works well where the hammer removed the factory paint from the nail head.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Roly - 04-02-2019

They make painted stainless steel trim nails that will drive better than the aluminum nails. Roly

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Cooler - 04-02-2019

I tried the flashing route for a window, and ended up replacing the trim with the PVC white plastic trim.  The stuff works like wood and lasts like aluminum.  It will take a finish if you need to.  White painted trim screws work fine.  I puttied the trim screw holes anyway.  

They have several profiles at Lowes.  https://www.lowes.com/pl/Pvc-Trim-board--Appearance-boards-Lumber-composites-Building-supplies/4294402499?refinement=4294965352,3451176595

I bought some "PVC" trim at Home Depot and it turned out to be a pvc extruded coating over MDF trim.  So be cautious and look at the cut ends before picking up any pvc trim and check that it is pvc all the way through.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Snipe Hunter - 04-02-2019

(04-01-2019, 07:14 PM)Scott W Wrote: And just leave them exposed right? That was the only thing I could come up with. LOML didn't seem to think that would look right but I couldn't find pics to tell her otherwise and I never paid any attention before.

I leave them exposed. Little if any rain will get through the hole. I try not to have any nails on top surfaces.

RE: Attaching aluminum trim coil - Gary G™ - 04-02-2019

Without seeing what you’re doing, I’m thinking PVC brick molding.