Woodnet Forums
Shaker Doors - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Shaker Doors (/showthread.php?tid=7347536)

Pages: 1 2

Shaker Doors - Turner52 - 04-06-2019

I have made a lot of raised panel doors and always allowed for wood movement. First time making shaker doors for my daughters kitchen cabinets. Panel is plywood. Should I allow for movement or cut to size and add glue. That is basically how I do drawers, so I wondered what the vast eperience here would do?

RE: Shaker Doors - MichaelMouse - 04-06-2019

(04-06-2019, 12:48 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have made a lot of raised panel doors and always allowed for wood movement. First time making shaker doors for my daughters kitchen to the space.   Panel is plywood. Should I allow for movement or cut to size and add glue. That is basically how I do drawers, so  I wondered what the vast eperience here would do?

What would it hurt to leave an eighth?  Five plies before I'd trust it not to blow things open.

RE: Shaker Doors - Rodneywt1180b - 04-06-2019

You don't have to worry about the plywood panels moving much but the frames will to some extent.  I'd leave some room.

RE: Shaker Doors - Gary G™ - 04-06-2019

Roll up a rubber cement ball for each side—rattle free.

RE: Shaker Doors - jteneyck - 04-06-2019

(04-06-2019, 12:48 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I have made a lot of raised panel doors and always allowed for wood movement. First time making shaker doors for my daughters kitchen cabinets. Panel is plywood. Should I allow for movement or cut to size and add glue. That is basically how I do drawers, so  I wondered what the vast eperience here would do?

I've done it both ways and never had a problem either way.  Glued in panels reduce the stress on the frame, substantially.  

John

RE: Shaker Doors - Stwood_ - 04-06-2019

(04-06-2019, 05:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've done it both ways and never had a problem either way.  Glued in panels reduce the stress on the frame, substantially.  

John

+1

RE: Shaker Doors - Turner52 - 04-07-2019

Close to 50-50. Any other responses.

RE: Shaker Doors - WoodworkerTom - 04-07-2019

I leave a 1/16 to 1/8" to ensure my cope and stick goes together tightly especially if your panel is slightly out of square.

RE: Shaker Doors - jamesglenn - 04-08-2019

(04-07-2019, 02:00 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I leave a 1/16 to 1/8" to ensure my cope and stick goes together tightly especially if your panel is slightly out of square.

I do this as well so there is a small amount of adjustability when assembling the frame pieces.

RE: Shaker Doors - Cooler - 04-08-2019

I make my shaker doors with 1/2" thick plywood for the panels.  I reduce the edges of the plywood with my dado blade, adjusting the thickness for a rattle-free panel.  

The advantages of the 1/2" plywood are:

1. I can adjust the edge thickness for a rattle-free fit in the grooves.
  2. I can screw accessories to the inside of the door.
  3. It feels and looks more solid and the quality is perceived as superior.
  4. There is little cost difference between 1/4" and 1/2" per cabinet.
  5. From the outside there is visually no difference.  The panel is flush on the inside except for the reduced area on the edges.
I use a full saddle joint for the rails and stiles so I never worry about strength.  If I am not painting the cabinets I will often cross pin the corners with a square dowel for aesthetics (not for strength).

Paint or stain the panel prior to assembly.  Movement of the rails and stiles will expose more of the panels and a tell-tale reveal will show up.