Woodnet Forums
Hammer K3 Winner - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Hammer K3 Winner (/showthread.php?tid=7347565)

Hammer K3 Winner - Jason28 - 04-08-2019

I've got a quote for a Hammer K3 Winner and I'll be heading to the showroom to discuss accessories and pay for the saw. We're moving in mid-May and I'll be using the 2 car garage for a shop and I expect to be moving the saw around frequently. My question to anyone who owns a Hammer machine: Is the rolling carriage Hammer sells worth the money and does it work well? Or do you think an traditional mobile base would serve me better?

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - garmar60 - 04-08-2019

I just got my k3 in Jan. I put it on the griz bear crawl. I really like it. I thinks it’s better than the hammer kit with the handle. Couple of things. 1 you need to also order the 36” extension bars for the bear crawl. 2 the hammer doesn’t come with the leveling feet unless you order separate. I didn’t know that and don’t have them. 3. The 4 hammer corners of the cabinet don’t line up one corner is inset about 3 inches. I used 2 pcs of treated 5/4 deck boards (wanted 1” thick and didn’t have anything handy). Cut them to length for the front to back. I bolted these to the bottom of the saw with carriage bolts, recessed the heads, thru the leveling feet holes. I also put a 5x5 pc of pvc trim between the saw and the treated wood. Just st cause. Then I set the saw and boards in the base. The saw is a little short in work heigh so raising it about 1 3/4” is good
Gary

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - JohnnyEgo - 04-08-2019

I do not own a K3, but my assumption is that it's mobility package is a Johnson-bar based system like the A3-41. Works great if you just need to move the thing forwards or backwards, or if you have the space to turn a battleship. I didn't have either of those things, but I did have a friend who is in oilfield services and was able to plasma cut me a 3/8 steel plate that followed the contours of the machine footprint, to which I bolted four Great Lakes casters. I am very happy with this set-up, but I am also six feet tall, so having the machine 3" higher is more comfortable to me. Rolls to storage position like a breeze. In fact, it moves so freely that if I don't remember to lock down the feet, all 900 lbs of it will start rolling just from me trying to join a large board.

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - Derek Cohen - 04-09-2019

(04-08-2019, 01:54 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I've got a quote for a Hammer K3 Winner and I'll be heading to the showroom to discuss accessories and pay for the saw. We're moving in mid-May and I'll be using the 2 car garage for a shop and I expect to be moving the saw around frequently. My question to anyone who owns a Hammer machine: Is the rolling carriage Hammer sells worth the money and does it work well? Or do you think an traditional mobile base would serve me better?

Hi Jason

The mobility kit is not designed for frequent and precision moving. It works, but is directional - back-and-forth only, not sideways. 

You can see it here, and on the A3-31 in the background ...

[Image: 1.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - Jason28 - 04-09-2019

I appreciate all the replies.

garmar60 (or anyone else) - Could you possibly share the dimensions of the saw cabinet with me? I'd like to get the base ordered so it's here when I take deliver of the saw.

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - garmar60 - 04-10-2019

Jason
The saw cabinet base is 29 3/8 wide across the front and back. The depth along the left side where the slider is is 37 3/4. The depth along the right side under the extension table is 34 3/4. If you look up my post “sliding saw update” there’s some pics that you can see the base. I ordered the Grizzly bear crawl with 1 addition set of 36” bars. The stock bars work across the front and back. The 36” longer bars work fine on each side. The saw is easy to move on the base
Gary

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - Jason28 - 04-19-2019

(04-10-2019, 09:07 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Jason
The saw cabinet base is 29 3/8 wide across the front and back. The depth along the left side where the slider is  is 37 3/4. The depth along the right side under the extension table is 34 3/4.   If you look up my post “sliding saw update” there’s some pics that you can see the base. I ordered the Grizzly bear crawl with 1 addition set of 36” bars. The stock bars work across the front and back. The 36” longer bars work fine on each side.   The saw is easy to move on the base
Gary

Thanks!

I was just in the Delaware showroom today and got my saw ordered. I'll get the saw sometime around mid-May.

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - garmar60 - 04-19-2019

Jason
Congratulations, I think you will really like the saw. Take a look at the hammer videos on unpacking and assembly. They help a bunch. Also I suggest you mske a fritz and franz jig as the first thing onc3 your set up
Gary

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - Jason28 - 04-20-2019

(04-19-2019, 07:14 PM)garmar60 Wrote: Jason
Congratulations,  I think you will really like the saw.  Take a look at the hammer videos on unpacking and assembly.  They help a bunch. Also I suggest you mske a fritz and franz jig as the first thing onc3 your set up
Gary

The Fritz and Franz jig is on the short list of immediate add-ons. Unpacking the house and getting a shed in place so all the yard tools are out of the garage have to come first though.

RE: Hammer K3 Winner - Jason28 - 07-23-2019

(04-20-2019, 09:39 AM)Jason28 Wrote: The Fritz and Franz jig is on the short list of immediate add-ons. Unpacking the house and getting a shed in place so all the yard tools are out of the garage have to come first though.

Just an update.

After waiting an extra month to be able to pick up the saw it's now sitting in the garage, waiting for the electricians to get all the new wiring in place. Hopefully that will be next week.

The delay has given me some time to get my A3-31 broken down and cleaned up after 18 months in a friends unheated garage. The mortising unit was completely frozen with rust so I took it completely apart and cleaned it up. Still have derusting to do on the ways. The bearings look terrible after the evapo-rust, but they function just fine. Finding replacements for some of the rusted bolts and screws has been a challenge. As I often do, I lament the fact the US doesn't use the metric system - when I could find the right grade, they were the wrong length; when they were the right length they were the wrong grade. I finally compromised with mid-grade zinc plated parts. I wanted stainless, but quantities I'd have to buy were prohibitive and wasteful.

After I get things running I'll make a cart for the mortising unit so I don't have to lift it on and off for use - just like the larger unit for the Felder machines.

I still have to give the A3 itself a thorough cleaning and adjustment, but more than the cleaning has to wait until I have power. The adjustments may take more since apparently when the friend got it to his garage, he and 3 other guys lifted it by the tables to set it in its mobile base, even though I showed him how to tilt it and slide the base halves under it. I just hope it hasn't been damaged.

I"m looking forward to puttering around getting the saw setup. I'm really looking forward to finally using the saw.