Woodnet Forums
how useful is a cordless circular saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: how useful is a cordless circular saw (/showthread.php?tid=7347605)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - EdL - 04-11-2019

ACME has it with a free 4amp/hr battery.....

free battery promotion

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - EricU - 04-11-2019

that's a good deal.  They don't have any though

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - Splinter Puller - 04-11-2019

(04-11-2019, 08:39 AM)John Mihich Wrote: Don't know if the 2 v will make a difference to buy a new tool.  (can't believe I just said that).  I have a sears 19.2 and use it to break down plywood in the driveway.  I do use it when I don't feel like taking out the extension cord.  I tried using it on 1.5 oak - not good for that.

There is no voltage difference between 18v and 20v... thats just marketing and naming.   The difference is 18v means Nicad battery tech and 20v means Li-Ion battery tech.  THAT is the big difference and the latter makes a much much better working tool.   It provides higher amp delivery and much longer run times.  They also don't discharge as fast sitting on the shelf.

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - toolmiser - 04-11-2019

I don't use a circular saw a lot. I don't remember the last time I needed one where electricity wasn't available. I also like the feel and torque of my old classic saws.

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - John Mihich - 04-12-2019

(04-11-2019, 08:24 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I don't use a circular saw a lot.  I don't remember the last time I needed one where electricity wasn't available.  I also like the feel and torque of my old classic saws.

Without a doubt the corded   ones will slice through wood like butter.  I find I have to go slower with the cordless.  I just don't like cords to my tools; don't know how many times I have had a cord get caught.

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - chapeleastland - 04-20-2019

I have the Ridgid GenX cordless w/9amp Octane batteries. The best cir saw I've ever owned over 50 years and that includes high-end Craftsman, Skil, and others.

I still have a 40 year-old Skil, but it is never used.

There's nothing missing with the Ridgid. Plus, a lifetime warranty. I wouldn't go back.

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - meackerman - 04-22-2019

cordless tools is what my contractor FIL uses.  The only time he breaks out his wormdrive saw is when he has to rip 2x material any significant distance.

We build my entire 1200 sq ft shop using cordless tools, except when he had to rip a 4x4 down to a 4x3 for the mud sill.  
Re-roofed by barn (took it down to the walls) was all done using cordless circular saws.  
built another 300 sq ft building using just cordless saws.

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - EdL - 04-22-2019

Like it or not, a cordless jobsite is now a reality.......

Ed

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - EricU - 04-22-2019

the 20v brushless model is a pretty solid tool, unlike my 18v, which is more like a walmart special.  Lowes doesn't have any right now though

RE: how useful is a cordless circular saw - GNP - 04-28-2019

I have the Ryboi and never use it.