Woodnet Forums
Odd-ball tools that save the day - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Odd-ball tools that save the day (/showthread.php?tid=7348485)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Odd-ball tools that save the day - Scoony - 05-31-2019

(05-30-2019, 10:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I don't know how many times over the years I have almost picked up or ordered gimlets. I even tried to make a gimlet from coat hanger wire. They aren't something I anticipate comfort in using, so are definitely "odd-ball". Drill bits seem to be more useful. 

Alternatives and workarounds to missing tools, or other, are the norm.

Not enough room inside the box for a drill and bit. Gimlet gets into tight spots and makes a hole.

(05-31-2019, 09:11 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Credit for this one goes to Scott Grandstaff...

The thin, flexy scraper, great for odd jobs:

Easy to sharpen "good enough" in a saw-vise by draw-filing a 45-degree bevel:

Chris

I have all sorts of bits and pieces of scraper stock in various shapes. They come in handy and can be easily shaped for particular spots.

(05-29-2019, 08:16 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
I sometimes go a month without ever using a Dremel, then sometimes it's the only tool that will do the job and I will use it almost every day for a week. One of the most useful tools you can have WHEN you need one..Plenty of "imitator" Dremels out there for a little more than a loaded Big Mac with a shake and fries.....  
Big Grin
Winkgrin

I would not consider a Dremel to be an odd-ball tool. It gets used too much to be one in my shop. Easiest way to shape scrapers and scratch stock.

(05-29-2019, 09:00 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Always a treat to see your work Scoony.

Thanks, this is a small chest for a niece that just graduated high school. I will post some pics in a few days when its completed. Made from curly imbuia which is a lot like a dark (semi-sweet) chocolate brown mahogany.

RE: Odd-ball tools that save the day - Timberwolf - 05-31-2019

(05-31-2019, 12:27 PM)Scoony Wrote: I would not consider a Dremel to be an odd-ball tool. It gets used too much to be one in my shop. Easiest way to shape scrapers and scratch stock.

I wouldn't consider a Dremel to be "odd" in a power tool forum, but it is odd to me since it is powered by electrons rather than by the Armstrong method.
Crazy
Big Grin

RE: Odd-ball tools that save the day - toolmiser - 05-31-2019

My wife would like me to post a picture of myself!