Woodnet Forums
Pete Taran is Back in Business - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pete Taran is Back in Business (/showthread.php?tid=7348862)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - RonB1957 - 06-23-2019

(06-19-2019, 04:53 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Looks like the successor to the Independence Saw is now available:

NE Plus Ultra Saws

Pete and I have chatted a few times about saws, so no surprise to me. Nice to see him going with different woods as well. I wish him the absolute best.

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - TraditionalToolworks - 06-27-2019

I do wish Pete the best in making saws, but I'm a bit confused. He was recently having a "discussion" with me on his IG feed over Foley equipment, claiming how superior it is to hand filing. I saw him post on IG a week or so about the new saws, but didn't see that they are "hand filed and set.".
Rolleyes  This seems to fly in the face of what he was "discussing" recently. If he really felt that Foley filing equipment was superior, why is he hand filing and setting his own saws?  
Rolleyes

The saws look nice, and Pete produced nice saws previously, I'm sure they are better now.
Wink

Interesting name...and/or use of name.

Pete's new saws look nice.
Cool

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - Derek Cohen - 06-27-2019

Teeth are created with a Foley, and then file sharpened by hand, and hand set. Nothing unusual here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - bandit571 - 06-27-2019

I think I'll just stick with  what I already have....

[attachment=19050]
[attachment=19051]
[attachment=19052]

Rather than order from someone known as a Saw Troll....

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - Derek Cohen - 06-27-2019

[Image: The_Grinch.png]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - Admiral - 06-27-2019

(06-27-2019, 12:08 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I do wish Pete the best in making saws, but I'm a bit confused. He was recently having a "discussion" with me on his IG feed over Foley equipment, claiming how superior it is to hand filing. I saw him post on IG a week or so about the new saws, but didn't see that they are "hand filed and set.".
Rolleyes  This seems to fly in the face of what he was "discussing" recently. If he really felt that Foley filing equipment was superior, why is he hand filing and setting his own saws?  
Rolleyes

The saws look nice, and Pete produced nice saws previously, I'm sure they are better now.
Wink

Interesting name...and/or use of name.

Pete's new saws look nice.
Cool

From Pete's website http://www.vintagesaws.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25, underline and italics added by me:

"High quality Swedish Steel Blades hand filed and set. We use an exhaustive process to insure the maximum sharpness possible. We start by filing our blades with a regular 4" double extra taper file, then handset the teeth, and finish by filing again with a fine diamond impregnated file. The result is a saw that is as sharp as can be, evenly set and smooth cutting"

That being said, he might be referring to full size handsaws, as somehow I don't think anyone out there uses Foley sharpeners on new production of joinery saws.  Now, for toothing and retoothing, one of these days I might pick up a Foley retoother if I can get one with all the carriers and bars, as I'd like to have the flexability it allows for changing tooth count.  Refiling teeth by hand is timeconsuming and files are expensive......

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - Admiral - 06-27-2019

(06-27-2019, 07:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I think I'll just stick with  what I already have....

Rather than order from someone known as a Saw Troll....

Now, now.... be nice.

But good luck using those as joinery saws...  
Smile  and somehow I'm totally and absolutely sure you have a few backsaws as well.....  
Laugh

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - wmickley - 06-27-2019

In 1998 I sharpened an Independence saw for a fellow cabinetmaker whose doctor had messed up his eyeglass prescription. That was during the two years that the company was in business. The dovetail saws were machine filed.

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - Tony Z - 06-27-2019

About a decade ago, I purchased a complete Foley outfit, thinking I might try my hand at some saw making. I was only interested in the teeth punching portion of the outfit, though I had (still have) all the pieces. I think I paid $400 for it and had great fun just putzing around with it. I never did make a saw using it, though I did remake a Freud saw into a dovetail saw in that time period by handwork.

What I found about the Foley was, that it would produce a gentle curve into the saw plate, as all teeth were punched from the same time, expanding the metal oh so slightly. Also (and I don't know if this was from an miss-adjustment or what), above the toothline, on the new saw plate, there was a hint of a scratch/wear line. I'm sure if you punched the teeth and then polish the plate, that line would come out, though I'm not sure about the gentle curve.

Maybe a few years earlier than that period, Adria saws were quite popular, and the owner of that saw company stated on his website that his teeth were machine cut and hand filed. I have one of those Adrias and it is a nice saw, and was my go to saw until I got a dovetail saw from Tools for Working Wood. Now the Adria is only used on thicker material.

Going way back, Tom Law was the internet's saw sharpening guru (definitely not by his desire!), and if any here can recall his how-to video on sharpening, it does show some Foley equipment, and Tom was pretty ambivalent about machine vs. hand methods.

RE: Pete Taran is Back in Business - bandit571 - 06-27-2019

Hmmm, passed on these 2, a few years ago,  estate sale finds...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=19058]
and..
[attachment=19059]
didn't have any room for them, at the time..or these..
[attachment=19060]
Didn't have a Line Shaft system to run it..nor...
Rolleyes
[attachment=19061]
Even the steady rest was a bit too big...
No
[attachment=19062]
May have been nice to have had a shop big enough...